FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log & transfer delay in responding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
Log & transfer delay in responding
on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:13:08 am

Aloha all!

I'm trying out a new camera, a little Canon Vixia HF-R200. Dropping some footage into FCP 6.0.6 to see what is what. The computer in this case is an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS 10.6.8 with 2 GB RAM.

I first copy the files from the flash card (we're talking about 4 tiny files, with a cumulative run time under 50 seconds) onto my scratch drive, then launch FCP and open the Log & Transfer window. Then 3 weird things happen.

Weird thing #1 - using the navigation system under the "add folder" button, I can locate the folder in which the .MTS files are sitting, but when I click the friendly blue OPEN button, nothing happens, at least for a couple of minutes.

Weird thing #2 - not to be deterred, I open a Finder window, and click-and-drag the files onto the Log & transfer window. The computer does nothing for a space of about 2 minutes.

Weird thing #3 - after sitting there for 2 minutes (literally), pretending I did not ask it for anything, suddenly I get a string of error messages. There's one for the folder, or one for each file, depending on which way I tried to import it. Words to the effect of "This is an unsupported file. Shame on you." But the files appear in the Log & Transfer window, ready to be added to the Queue.

So, I can live with the meaningless warning messages, but the whole "wait 2 minutes with no feedback from the machine to see whether or not the files will import" is a problem. What if I were trying to import an hour's worth of footage, would it take 2 hours before the computer deigned to acknowledge my request? What is going on?

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]