FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desaturated Image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Hassett
Desaturated Image
on Aug 4, 2011 at 10:56:51 pm

Hi Everyone:

I've used the 3-way color correction tool to manipulate my video in FCP 5, and I've exported the timeline as H.264.

For some reason the exported video is desaturated. I don't think it's an issue of the monitor, because I'm watching both the FCP canvas and the exported video on the same monitor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Ian

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Desaturated Image
on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:31:16 pm

Where are you looking at the export?

What monitor did use use to view the grade.

Because it's H264 I'd assume you are looking at the export in Quicktime, what are your Quicktime settings?

These factors are all relevant to what you see, which is not always what you've got.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Ian Hassett
on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:42:11 pm

Hey Phil: Thanks for responding and sorry that I didn't include the specifics in the original post.

To update: I just exported the video as a DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, and it looks better - certainly not as squished as the H.264 - but the color is still desaturated.

Current frame rate
Automatic data ratio
Medium quality - for speed
Interlaced
16:9
Compressor native

I've viewed both the export and the grade on the same monitor - a 2.66gHz 21.5" iMac

Return to posts index

Ian Hassett
on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:41:51 pm

Hey Phil: Thanks for responding and sorry that I didn't include the specifics in the original post.

To update: I just exported the video as a DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, and it looks better - certainly not as squished as the H.264 - but the color is still desaturated.

Current frame rate
Automatic data ratio
Medium quality - for speed
Interlaced
16:9
Compressor native

I've viewed both the export and the grade on the same monitor - a 2.66gHz 21.5" iMac

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Jan 15, 2012 at 1:25:57 am

I've got much the same problem, but not just with h.264.

I edited the movie in FCP and graded in Color, using a Panasonic 1710 through a Blackmagic 3D Extreme card. My computer monitor is the basic Apple 27". Final use of the project will be for projection, but I need to show it first on computer monitors. The colors I'm seeing in FCP on the Apple monitor are about the same as on the Panasonic, just darker overall because of the difference in gamma.

First I exported a version for Vimeo via Compressor, as an h.264 mp4 Quicktime. I noticed that the colors were more desaturated than what I was seeing on my computer monitor. I assumed this was because of the h.264 compression, so did a straight Quicktime output from FCP (File::Export::Quicktime Movie...) to compare. Both exports looked the same in terms of color and gamma, though the QT movie is 422HQ.

Here is a screen shot of the three outputs (can't include the broadcast monitor, of course)

So I'm baffled as to the color/saturation difference, and can find nothing in the settings to help. Any ideas?

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]