FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delete empty audio channels?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tory Stewart
Delete empty audio channels?
on Aug 4, 2011 at 10:42:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a project and our sound guy provided me with 6-channel wave files but most of the time he was only recording two channels, occasionally three. We were also recording with a camera-mounted shotgun, and one radio mic channel was fed back to the camera. Consequently this is the configuration I'm facing with most of the video clips:

channel 1: radio mic A
channel 2: camera-mounted shotgun mic

and with the audio clips:

channel 2: radio mic B
channel 3: occasionally another radio mic/camera guy's shotgun
channel 4: empty
channel 5: empty
channel 6: empty

Before syncing the dual-recorded audio to the video with Plural Eyes, I'm wondering if I should create entirely new audio files in Soundtrack Pro by deleting the empty channels so I don't have to bother with them in FCP? In that vein, would it also make sense to make entirely new audio files by combining the camera audio and the sound guy's audio after syncing with Plural Eyes, ie.

channel 2: radio mic B
channel 3: camera-mounted shotgun
channel 4: any other mic

Or should I just sync the 6-channel waves with the video clips, delete one of the duplicate radio mic channels and the empty channels and merge the remaining audio and video into new merged clips?

Thanks very much, I'm new to Soundtrack Pro so just trying to put all available tools to their best uses!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Delete empty audio channels?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:16:39 am

Firstly the sound person should have turned record off on unused channels. Most devices allow only mic'd channels to be recorded as polywavs.

Sound Devices have a free download program called Wave Agent which is the best way to make changes to polywavs as it handles broadcast wav metadata properly. STP might throw critical metadata. I am not sure but I do know that Wave Agent is designed for just this task.

Yes do it before syncing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved