FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixed format dvcpro and prores

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Warman
mixed format dvcpro and prores
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:38:35 am

looking for the best work flow at this point.

I have 3 types of media
h264 shot on cannon transcoded into FCP on log and transfer to proresHQ shot in 720p60

dvcpro HD shot on hvx200 720p60 no trans-code
dvcpro HD shot on hvx200 720p24 no trans-code

I have all the original media except for the 720p24

the delivery is HDDVD, internet stream and HD download.
working in FCP 6 - mac pro

The majority of the footage is skiing.
the product bridges the gap of entertainment, education and motivation.
it will include a significant amount of slow motion (I have used cinama tools to to do a conform but will need greater slowmo). Plan to buy twixter for improved slowmo.

should the the dvcpro transfer be redone and trans-coded to prores?

best time line to work in (frame rate and codec?)

I apologize for any obvious ignorance as I am a amateur.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: mixed format dvcpro and prores
on Aug 4, 2011 at 4:43:56 pm

You could try just editing the DVCPROHD footage into a ProRes sequence. The render then is the transcode... or if that isn't acceptable, do a transcode in Compressor or other compression software that supports ProRes HQ. If you don't have to render just to edit it in... it might be just as fast or faster to have done things that way. I'll bet a faster machine matters for sure here.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Sean Warman
Re: mixed format dvcpro and prores
on Aug 4, 2011 at 6:09:26 pm

Thanks Jerry
That has been my plan and I have been running some test sequences with different set ups to be sure. I just wanted to check with the pros to avoid any big obvious errors.

This is my 4th project like this, and in the first 3 I focused on just the content and editing to achieve a "feel" that I was striving to create. they have all been ROUGH (sub par technically) so I hope this one takes a big step up in that area.
Thanks again!

BTW love your article on "the art of editing"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved