FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow when dealing with 100gb+ of video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Wilber
Workflow when dealing with 100gb+ of video
on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:20:46 am

I've been shooting weddings with my DSLR and each wedding I get around 80 - 150gigs of raw video (H.264) depending on how many cameras I use.

Usually I use mpeg streamclip to convert to ProRes then use those files in FCP. So far I've just downsized to 720 as I just put them on DVD. Took a while, but just ran them overnight. Now I want to keep them all at HQ and 1080 for when I put on a BluRay in the future. It's taking FOREVER for these files to convert, well over 20 hours. Is this pretty much how it goes or is there an easier way? I'm a little frighten when I start using these files in FCP and hope my system can handle it (2005 MacBook Pro).

Is it possible to convert it all to a lower file size/quality, edit in FCP, then somehow export and link the original files to make the master copy? I'm not sure how any color correction or effects would work if you did something like that.

Thanks.

PS: I did just read on the forums that you should stick with 422 or 422(LT). I was using 422 (HQ) so maybe thats why it was taking so long? If its going to Bluray will 422 have a big difference over (LT)?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Workflow when dealing with 100gb+ of video
on Aug 4, 2011 at 4:55:55 pm

Good is in the eye of the beholder. If LT is OK, it's OK... it's broadcast quality video. Much depends on movement in the frame, and whether or not you compositing with it etc. For a wedding, I think LT may well be the way to go. Try a tough shot you want to color correct or something in both formats. If LT is good enough, it's good enough.

Yes, you can edit in LT, then reconnect to HQ transfers. Don't change the clips names between the two formats. You can use Media Manager to export an HQ sequence "offline"... then reimport and connect to only what was used in the edit too. All filters, titles etc, will just follow along in this workflow. But I bet LT is good enough maybe... or just 422. HQ creates large files... usually don't look better than LT unless there's a lot of movement in the frame. LIke faster pans, car races... sports maybe.

Encoding time from h.264 to HQ will likely not be much longer or shorter than LT... it's that h.264 codec. FCP X might be a wonderful editor for you to try out. You can start editing from the h.264 files AS you ingest them, and can deliver what you need from X, Motion and Compressor. However there's no real external monitoring yet, and no way to open FCP 7 project files with it, Without 3rd party software, there's no XML out either.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]