FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving Youtube Videos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Carruthers
Saving Youtube Videos
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:29:08 pm

I know this is not the right forum to ask this question, but I didn't know where else to go...

Is anyone else having problems saving youtube videos today? Problem just arose a couple of hours ago. In the past I have use mpeg streamclip or the keepvid website.

Since having the problem, I have tried to download other programs to save youtube videos (such as itube). No luck. I wanted to know if I am the only one having this issue. If so, what program do you use to save youtube videos?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Saving Youtube Videos
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:20:35 pm

My technique still works perfectly. I don't use any special software or services, just good ol' Safari. This will always work for almost any video embedded in a web page.

-Open Safari and go to the page with the video you want.
-Open the Activity window in Safari. This will list all the elements loaded to display the page. If you've visited many pages, there will be a disclosure triangle for each of them. Open the one for the page you want to steal video from.
-Find the video among the other elements. It's usually much much bigger than anything else. Everything will be in kB and you'll probably have your video only displaying MB.
-Click on that element and command-C.
-Open your Downloads window in Safari and command-V your link in there.
-You'll start downloading the file. For YouTube, the file will be called "videoplayback.flv".
-Rename and convert.

Safari is the best browser for this, as the activity reports are so easily accessible compared to other browsers that hide them in developer modes or some such nonsense.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Bill Carruthers
on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:47:17 am

Jean-Christophe Boulay,

You saved my day today! Thanks so much for the tip!

Return to posts index

Bill Carruthers
on Aug 31, 2011 at 7:36:46 pm

One last question for you... Doing your process works every time for stuff off of youtube, I can't seem to pull a video from vimeo using the same technique.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there another process when pulling embedded videos from sites other than youtube?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]