FORUMS: list search recent posts

suddenly have to render/reconnect media every time I quit!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Serena Lim
suddenly have to render/reconnect media every time I quit!
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:09:48 am

Hi, I'm having trouble with Final Cut 6.0.5.

I've been editing a sequence for a couple months now, and this past week made a minor change to the original video file, which is saved on my HD. The next time I opened FCP to work on it, I had to reconnect media, which made sense at the time.

But I just noticed that every time since then, when I save, quit and reopen FCP, that my file is offline and the sequence needs to be rendered! There's no alert box that warns me that files have gone offline, so I manually select "Reconnect Media," locate the file, and reconnect. Just now I'm re-rendering my sequence... it takes something like an hour or so before I can get back to editing... how frustrating!

I looked up my problem, and see in search results that checking "Forget File" when I reconnect media is supposed to take care of this(?) but I see no such option when I go to my "reconnect media" window.! Thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: suddenly have to render/reconnect media every time I quit!
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:21:46 pm

Trash your thumbnail files for starters, to make sure the media isn't really offline when you open FCP. If you reconnect, you will have to render it again. When you open a project file whose media isn't online (say you forgot to mount a FW drive) the thumbnails get rewritten showing offline media. They don't always rebuild when you reconnect. (they should but don't sometimes). .. With all the media connected, and all the thumbnails showing that it is. Render it, then never open the file without the media online.

See if that doesn't fix you up.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved