FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio track doesn't open in same spot as in timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Blankenship
Audio track doesn't open in same spot as in timeline
on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:59:27 pm

Short Version: When I double click on the audio track of a multi-clip timeline, I want the audio window in the viewer to open with the playhead at the same time as it was in the canvas window. In FCP 6 this used to happen for me.

Below are my specs, and a more detailed explanation if you need it.

Mac Pro
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Dual 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Xeon
Final Cut Pro 7

Multi-clip editing of video with 2 camera angles of a recorded workshop. Both cameras were JVC GY-HM100U camcorders. The video files are both QuickTime and the format (according to QT Inspector): Apple XDCAM EX 1080p30 (35 Mb/s VBR), 1920 x 1080 (1888 x 1062), Millions
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz
Detailed Version:
I created a multi-clip using both video files by syncing on the same "In" point (a camera flash I did at the beginning of the workshop).
I dropped the multi-clip in the timeline, double clicked the multi-clip to bring it up in the viewer window. I made sure that angle 1 was highlighted and then went to the Playhead Sync button at the top of the viewer window and chose Audio -> ALL. I want to make sure only the audio from angle 1 is used for the entire program even if I switch camera angles. I then choose video and "Open" as the sync method. So now when I activate the timeline window and start playing the video, I have two video windows (in the 4 up viewer window), playing in sync, and in the canvas window, the active angle is playing, and the audio is only coming from angle 1. I have made multiple cuts between video angles 1 and 2 and the audio has always remained untouched.
Now, the problem. about 50 minutes into the 70 minute program, I got a single audio pop when the workshop speaker bent over while he was talking and said a "P" word. I stopped the playhead and double clicked on the audio track to see the pop in the stereo tab of the viewer window and was just going to zero out the one or two frames where the pop was. When the audio track opened up though, the playhead was positioned back at the very beginning of the multi-clip, (the "in" point of the multi-clip I used to drop it into the timeline. Not the "in" points of the individual clips I used to sync them into the multi-clip).
In the past, (with FCP 6), I would just stop the playhead where the pop was, and double click on the audio track in the timeline and then "Stereo" tab in the viewer window would activate showing the audio tracks, and the playhead would be at the exact same time on the audio track as it was in the timeline.
I feel like there must be some setting I have to change but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help with this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved