FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD & virtual memory size questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
SSD & virtual memory size questions
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:53:03 pm

I've been considering upgrading my boot drive to a 256 MB SSD drive. I was thinking that size should be sufficient for my Adobe and Apple suites plus my other various applications. I store all of my media and project files on an external drive. But recently while rendering my AE projects, I've been watching the RAM for page outs in Activity Monitor. That's when it occurred to me that my virtual RAM usually runs between 200-230 GBs in size. If I select all of the non-hidden folders on my drive it shows a summary info of 130 GB, but if I do a Get Info, it shows that I'm using 430 GB of space on the boot drive, which I assume includes the virtual RAM. So that would mean that I would need a 480 GB SSD, correct? If that's the case, I'll wait it out awhile more since I'm not going to drop a grand on a boot drive.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: SSD & virtual memory size questions
on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:33:17 pm

The key word here is that the memory is virtual. It's related to and depends upon hdd's capacity and not vice versa.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
Re: SSD & virtual memory size questions
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:20:11 am

Okay, so it's dynamically scalable by the OS. So, if you're OS would normally want to consume 230 GB of drive space for the virtual RAM, how much would it slow the system down in normal operation to limit the virtual RAM to 1/3 to 1/2 of that optimum size?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]