FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to custom crop video screen size (12.958x4.972)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Steele
How to custom crop video screen size (12.958x4.972)
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:38:56 pm

I need a video cropped to a custom size so that it can play as a 'banner' at the top of a website. The required dimensions are 12.958 x 4.972 (inches).

I tried a few tutorials but couldn't get one that could do this for me correctly. Any help? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to custom crop video screen size (12.958x4.972)
on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:56:48 pm

[Austin Steele] "The required dimensions are 12.958 x 4.972 (inches)."

You're going to want to get that measurement in PIXELS, not inches.

Consider this: A DVD player plays a picture that's 720x480 pixels. Now, it can be played in a hand-held player, and the display is inches across. It can be played through a projector on the side of a building, and the display is many feet across. Which is the correct measurement?

Similarly, measuring a web page with a ruler can be inaccurate. Get the measurement in pixels.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Austin Steele
on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:59:08 pm

Makes sense. The measurement in pixels is: 933x358 pixels. What would be the next step to make this change?

Return to posts index

Austin Steele
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:14:13 pm

Makes sense. The measurement in pixels is: 933x358.

So what would be the next step to make this conversion?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:51:52 pm

Personally, I'd do it in After Effects: make a 933x358 square-pixel comp. Add the edited video to the comp. Scale & position to taste. Render. If you needed to change scale & position on the cuts, animate the properties with hold keyframes at the cuts. If you're fortunate enough to have Automatic duck, you'll have your FCP edit timeline in the AE comp, so you can tweak on a clip-by-clip basis.

This is an instance when After Effects is a far easier and faster tool for the job at hand. I suppose the same thing could be done in Motion. Perhaps even in Compressor, if you like rolling the dice on cropping & scaling.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]