FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do I Increase Scratch Disk Capacity?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bobie barens
How Do I Increase Scratch Disk Capacity?
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:11:28 pm

I'm working with Final Cut 7, on a Mac pro (OS X 10.6.2) with four internal hard drive bays. The system drive (1TB) is in bay 1 with the OS applications. That drive is set as RAID SET 1, Enhanced JBOD, and for some odd reason its available capacity is 0 kb?

Then I put 3, 1TB hard drives in bays 2-4 and they are set at RAID 5, giving them a 1.96 TB capacity. All drives are 7200 rpm and they are set as my scratch disk.

Additionally, I'm using the Promise DS4600 SmartStor as my external back up with 4, 1TB hard drives. It is currently using 2TB of drive space out of an available 3 TB. I use SuperDuper on a daily basis to back up my material from my scratch disk to the DS4600. At the end of the week, I turn on my additional 4, 1TB G-tech drives to do a duplicate backup of the DS4600. My project consists of 300 hours of DV footage and I live in fear of losing my data - hence the double backup!

My scratch disk is dangerously full as I am unable to digitize my footage without loosing frames and sync. I'm at an impasse.

How do I increase my scratch disk volume at this point and not jeopardize what I currently have on the internal 3TB drives?

Is it as simple as replacing my 3, 1TB internal drives with 3, 2TB internal drives and then copying over from the DS4600 to the new and larger internal hard drives?

This may sound like a green-horn question - and it is - since this is the first time I have ever worked in Final Cut and on such a large project to boot! If you need to know anymore tech items please feel free to ask and I will try and get that information for you. I am sure this isn't the first time anyone has run into this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved