FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP XML synch problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pentney
FCP XML synch problems
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:33:18 pm

Hi,

Have encounted a problem and need a solution!

We've been synching dailes on a feature film - RED transcodes (QT) and WAV audio. We've been merging clips.

We're passing it over to another company who use FCP 6 (we use 7). So we exported a version 4 XML. On 1st appearance everything seems ok - apart from the merged clips are out of synch. However when we look at the video file, and the audio file the in points it was merged from are still correct!

Is there any way to rectify this? The other slight issue is the XML does not seem to bring with it the original path and states 'unspecified'. We going from the same drive it was logged and synched on.

THanks in advance!

Mike

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP XML synch problems
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:47:44 pm

Are you passing the media too? Sounds like a bug to me. Try the other XML formats?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:44:41 am

Has the other company set up their FCP station with the proper settings for your editing timebase. More specifically, they need to have the "default sequence setting" configured to match the working setting of your project. See the second half of my tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

When you import a project via XML, I believe FCP treats ever piece of media as totally fresh, and may therefore be assigning a bogus frame rate to the audio, hence the sync drift. I describe the issue in more detail in the tutorial.
Of course, there may be something else going on here, but this is the first thing I'd check.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Pentney
on Aug 3, 2011 at 8:02:35 am

Thanks for the response!
Yes we've tried different project/sequence settings to match what I'm working on.
On a bit more trial and error tests - I'm finding the same problem bringing the XML back into the same project on the same machine it came from!
As a second unknown spanner in the works - the 2 clips the merged clip came from (ie. video and audio) the in points that were used to merge the clips are in exactly the right place - but still the merged clip is wrong!
Now I'm really baffled.....
Having a read through your paper Matt, looks very interesting so giving that a go now!
Cheers
Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]