FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 Log and Transfer Crashes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Deal
Final Cut Pro 7 Log and Transfer Crashes
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:12:26 am

I'm somewhat at my wits end. I'm trying to get a number of files off my Canon HF200 SD-card HD camcorder into Final Cut for editing and its not going well.

So far I am doing the following:
1. Opening the SD card from within final cut's log and transfer (L&T) and creating an image of the disk
2. Opening the image of the disk again within L&T
3. Setting the AVCHD plugin from within preferences to Apple Intermediate Codec
4. Adding my clips to the queue.

Now this is where the trouble begins.

If I select just one clip and add it to the queue it transcodes without trouble and is added to my project bin. I can then use the clip for editing to my heart's content, save the project, exit, load it up and continue to edit no problem.

If however I were to select a further clip after the first has been transcoded and added, this second clip will result in the 'spinning rainbow wheel of death' and final cut stops responding.

This same behaviour occurs if I select more than one clip and click add to queue in the first instance.

I then have to force quit the program and load my project again. So long as I save the project after adding a clip to my project bin, I can close the program, reopen it and add a further clip...just the one bear in mind.

I've visions of this ongoing to Christmas if I am restricted to such a tedious process to get my clips into the project bin. Please, can anyone out there lend a hand?

Huge thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 Log and Transfer Crashes
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:52:17 pm

Start troubleshooting by trashing your FCP preferences. (in your user library/preferences/FCP user data folder. All three of the red and white icon'd files.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Peter Deal
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:36:16 am

Thank you for the response,

Unfortunately still no joy :-( I ended up getting clipwrap to transcode everrything into apple intermediate codec, can then just drag-drop and skip the log and transfer step entirely.

Any further advice would be welcome however, it'd be nice to not have to rely on extra apps.

Return to posts index

Craig Ross
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:16:36 pm

I'm sorry that this solution did not help Peter's problem, but it did help mine (wherein mounting P2 data in logo and transfer crashed FCP).

so, thank you, Jerry, and thanks, Creative Cow!

-cer

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:19:23 pm

[Peter Deal] " Opening the SD card from within final cut's log and transfer (L&T) and creating an image of the disk"

Back up your SD card to a hard drive first.
Follow these instructions:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]