FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting AVCHD into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce McLellan
Ingesting AVCHD into FCP7
on Aug 1, 2011 at 5:41:30 am

Hi,

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I wasn't sure where it would fit best.

I've received some footage in AVCHD format shot on an NX5 camera. I've ingested it using log and transfer as well as clipwrap and premiere, and the audio sounds terrible and the waveforms looks very compressed. The footage is near a factory and it sounds as if the sound of the factory on the camera mic and the interviewee on the talent's mic have been combined.

Is it possible that FinalCut is mixing the audio tracks together? Barring the possibility that it was actually recorded like this what could be causing the audio to sound like this?

I've been told that it was shot with 4 channels, 1 a lapel mic, 1 a camera mic and the other 2 silent.

I'm using FCP 7.0.3 if that helps.

Thanks so much for any help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Ingesting AVCHD into FCP7
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:39:24 pm

You've ingested as a Stereo pair. Mute the channel you don't want when you bring into the Viewer, and then don't cut that channel into the timeline when you edit.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryce McLellan
on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:07:55 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Log and Transfer doesn't give me any option to ingest other than stereo pair, and I only want channel 1 out of the 4 audio channels.

Bryce.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:57:52 am

If you have the means to use log and transfer via an HDMI cable, you'll be able to bring in at least 8 separate audio channels which should allow you to either bring just the ones you need or all of them, but they won't be mixed into stereo pairs.

Return to posts index

Bryce McLellan
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:09:58 am

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your help,

I'm not sure what you mean by the hdmi cable, I'm ingesting AVCHD files from their raw format. I've been assured that there should be 4 tracks of audio, but I can only ingest a pair of stereo tracks.

Bryce.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:14:16 am

Final Cut will only allow mixed down stereo audio to be ingested via log and transfer. IF you can get those files back onto a card, you will need to have that card put back into the camera. Then log and transfer via HDMI out on your camera, hopefully the camera has HDMI out. To log and transfer via HDMI, you'll have to go through an I/O device like the Matrox MXO2 that has HDMI inputs. This will allow for the separate audio channels to be seen by final cut. Otherwise, strictly through log and transfer FCP will only bring in stereo pairs.

Return to posts index

Bryce McLellan
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:07:56 am

Thanks Kevin, that's really helpful.

Is there any way of ingesting the footage with 4 mono tracks, or even just ingesting the audio, apart from getting the camera?

Other programs perhaps? I've already tried FCP, Premiere, Clipwrap and Aunsoft MTS Converter.

I don't think we'll be able to get hold of the camera.

Thanks,
Bryce.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:36:35 pm

Hi Bryce

I am unaware of any other way or software to achieve this goal. Maybe another storage device with a HDMI output, with the proper card file structure on it? Sorry I can't be more help on this front.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bryce McLellan
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:25:03 am

Thanks for all your help Kevin and Shane, it's really appreciated.

I'll post something if I find an easier way.

Bryce.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]