FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro won't open

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle LaRock
Final Cut Pro won't open
on Jul 30, 2011 at 5:45:10 pm

Last nigh while digitizing I accidently unplugged an external hard drive. I saved the project and powered the computer down. Now FCP won't open. It goes so far and quits.

I've tried...repairing permissions, powering down, powering down and disconnecting the external drives. All other programs function and open including soundtrack, motion and live type. I'm really stumped on this one.

Any help out there?

I'm using Version 10.4.11 Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 with Final Cut 5.4

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Final Cut Pro won't open
on Jul 30, 2011 at 6:36:16 pm

[Michelle LaRock] "I've tried...repairing permissions, powering down, powering down and disconnecting the external drives."

But, you haven't trashed preferences, right?

Here's the deal Michelle, when something bad happens to FCP, such as a drive going down during the capture operation, that will sometimes corrupt the preferences and other times will trashe them completely. You never know. So, trash your prefs., start FCP and see if you can open your project from the File menu. If not, you'll have to go back in time using the AutoSave Vault, if you had AutoSave enabled.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Jul 30, 2011 at 7:27:35 pm

Trashing preferences didn't work, but going through the autosave vault did. Thanks mucho. Now it won't see the firewire to my camera. Any additional suggestions there?

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Jul 31, 2011 at 3:44:43 am

Is the firewire connection the only device on the firewire chain? The G5 may have more than 1 firewire port, but they all connect to the same chip.

Make sure there are no external devices connected other than your DV camera.

Connect drives via USB, or buy an additional Firewire card for the drive.

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:23:11 pm

Every other camera I own works so I can only conclude that unplugging that darn wire mid-digitize screwed up my firewire connection in the camera. It's been repaired once already so I'll take it back to that engineer and see what he thinks. Thanks so much for the advice. Going to the Auto Save Vault never occurred to me. Don't know what I would do without the forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]