FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting re-transcoded files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathryn Cates
Reconnecting re-transcoded files?
on Jul 27, 2011 at 1:40:39 am

Hi all,

I did some transcodes on a RED project using the FCP L&T tool. I then realized, like an idiot, that the quality of the files was much better if I transcoded them using RedCine, so I did that, then moved the old files to a new folder on my drive and replaced them in their original folders with the new transcodes (with identical filenames). Then I reconnected my media in my sequence, although FCP told me the reel names didn't match.

Now I've output a Quicktime to Compressor, and the Compressor output file (an H264 Quicktime) goes very weird several minutes in. Crazy artifacts, hangs on frames, etc. The audio is fine throughout, the file size is about what it should be, and the duration is right.

What's going on here? Did the way I reconnected my media cause this? How can I save it now? Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Reconnecting re-transcoded files?
on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:54:44 am

There is a well documented workflow for RED files in FCP. Why didn't you check it before jumping with your both feet in? You're told by FCP that reel names didn't match. That was your first red flag that something went sour. Are you working w/ proxy files or final ProRes?

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Kathryn Cates
Re: connecting re-transcoded files?
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:28:11 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your response! We are working in ProRes. Yes, we used the FCP L&T process initially to transcode and everything was fine, but as an experiment we tried it in RedCine and it looked much better. I could find no documentation about the proper way to replace these files in the project, and I'm sure my guess was wrong. How do I assign reel names to these files? Is that a RedCine process? Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]