FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to make lots of (different sized) videos the same exported size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Jones
Need to make lots of (different sized) videos the same exported size
on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:08:39 pm

Hello,

I have been asked to take about 70 video files (.mov's and .mp4's) that are anywhere from 10 years old to 1 month old, so shot in many different formats and which have been compressed in many different ways, and make them all into a 4:3 format that this company can upload to a youtube-type player on their website. What is the best way to go about doing this so that I can keep a consisitency in the size of the videos?

Even some of the newer ones that were shot in HD are compressed to odd sizes like 480x272, so when I put that in an NTSC 4:3 sequence (640:480) it has huge letterboxing...while when I put a 1280x720 files into the same sequence it's waay too large.

I think the key is to use the same FCP sequence size for everything but what would be an easy way to convert all these files to a similar size? Is it even possible? The fact that half are 4:3 video files and half are 16:9 confuses me also...

Hopefully someone has some insight on this. Thanks!

-Tim

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Need to make lots of (different sized) videos the same exported size
on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:53:34 pm

I don't think there's an automated way to do this... might be fast to put them all in a sequence that is the size you want it to be in the end, then resize all the odd sized video. If you scale it up it will look worse than if you scale it down.

Then export this sequence, or sub clip the sequence clips. Then process the clips for an individual export using the current settings.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Need to make lots of (different sized) videos the same exported size
on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:18:14 pm

Let me clarify...

resize the odd sized video clip by clip in the sequence. Then export it, or create sub clips from this sequence to export.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]