FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p encoding for web and web hosting services

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Laslo
720p encoding for web and web hosting services
on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:07:06 pm

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I found a lot of similar questions but not a solid answer. I have two questions.

1) What is an ideal bitrate for a 720p video being streamed on the web. When using the Youtube default setting the file size seems to be rather large for it's purpose and I'm sure Youtube is recompressing the file on their end.

2) What companies do people use for video hosting? I was looking at Brightcove but am not sure what our success would be with their 40 GB a month of bandwidth. We are producing 2-5 minute short documentary style pieces. Currently we are close to the max number for their minimum $99 account, but not all of these are watched often either. If we were doing 720p video what do you think is a reasonable amount of views to expect.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: 720p encoding for web and web hosting services
on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:30:04 pm

It's always a tradeoff. You either have great bitrate and video quality and lose some folks with limited bandwidth or have reduced bitrate and people mediocre video quality.
Use CDN to deliver video content. There are ready-to-go solutions on market with fair price tag attached.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

wes moore
Re: 720p encoding for web and web hosting services
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:11:58 pm

Brightcove is a great platform but very expensive. Try my company, iPlayerHD. $30 a month, 100 GB of bandwidth and only $.36 per GB above 100 GB. Plenty of features. You may also want to look at my competitors...good companies also...Wistia, Vzaar.

One minute of video at 2000 kbps at 1280 x 720 equals about 16 MB. http://www.iplayerhd.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]