FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering in FCP 3.0 with 2011 iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Work
Rendering in FCP 3.0 with 2011 iMac
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:03:07 am

Hello Creatives,

I have worked with FCP 3.0 before and I am aware that rendering takes a while even with great machines.

I just bought an iMac with the following specs:

21.5-inch: 2.5GHz

* 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
* 1920 x 1080 resolution
* 4GB (two 2GB) memory
* 500GB hard drive1
* AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

All applications seem to be working fine, except that Final Cut Pro
7 takes quite a long time to render upon import, and it requires rendering for any additioal edit. I'm aware of Unlimited RT as opposed to Safe RT and when I use Unlimited it's very, very unbarably choppy.

So I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong or if something else is going on? I'm editing .mov files.

Thanks!

- Jordan

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Rendering in FCP 3.0 with 2011 iMac
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:19:39 am

Are you using an external drive to store the media on? If not start with that. Render times won't speed up much, but you'll not drop frames as much.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:59:10 am

You shouldn't have to render on every edit - what codec are you using and does your sequence setting match the source?

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:27:21 pm

Even with the fastest mac ever, if you don't set things up correctly, it will seem slow, not because of the horsepower, but because of mis matched settings.

Make sure your sequences match the codec of your footage, and that the codec you are editing in is actually an editing codec (not something like h.264)

Return to posts index

Jordan Work
on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:20:27 pm

Thanks!

I'm editing in .mov and that is h.264 codec right?

What should I do with my .mov footage that are straight
from the Canon Rebel T2i? I have a feeling it has something
to do with Apple ProRes...?

Thanks!

- Jordan

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:32:35 pm

.mov's can be of any number of codecs...

If you shoot with that Canon, you have to transfer the footage before you edit to ProRes. MPEG Streamclip or Compressor will do it. H.264 file editing isn't supported directly in FCP 7... Keep the same frame rate and size, choose ProRes 4:22 for most things or ProRes LT for things that aren't going to be used in a bunch of composites, and ProRes HQ for material that has a lot of movement in it. Most editors are using ProRes 4:2:2.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jordan Work
on Jul 27, 2011 at 3:58:39 am

Wow, thanks so much!

You all have been so helpful!

God bless,

- Jordan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]