FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding for adaptive bit rate streaming?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Spezz
Encoding for adaptive bit rate streaming?
on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:20:12 pm

I'm trying to encode some videos on my web site for adaptive bit rate steaming but can't seem to wrap my head around how the process works. I understand that the video needs to be encoded multiple times at varying bit rates to adapt to the viewer's device and bandwidth. And that there may also be some other information to "chunk" the videos into segments? Is this something that can be done with FCP or Compressor? Finally, I'm using Dreamhost, do they need to support this with special server technology?

If anyone's been down this road already, your advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Encoding for adaptive bit rate streaming?
on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:17:08 pm

If you're gonna stream your video you need a stream server. If you're gonna use "progressive-download", or "pseudo-streaming" you may realize it yourself on any php or similar web server. Compressor can encode movies optimized for streaming/downloading with proper meta-data. Use h.264 codec for .mov .flv, .mp4, .f4v container.
Adjustable bitrate means that you have a number of files with different bitrates that client web browser can choose from within depending on bandwidth.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Dan Spezz
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:00:11 am

I appreciate the response Everest. I am interested in adaptive bit rate specifically. As mentioned, I get the concept, or at least what the benefits are. Just trying to figure out how to get there.

I contacted Dreamhost and was told that it's not supported on their platform.

A little more research and I found some information on CDNs and Edge server technology and I realize that this is not something that I could possible do on my own. At least not with the best performance.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:56:45 am

Take a look at amazon.com cloud services - they are very affordable. Anyway it's all about web server technologies and FCP/Compressor have little saying in this regard.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]