FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Hard drive for Pro Res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drake Hale
External Hard drive for Pro Res
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:17:01 pm

I am looking for an external hard drive to edit my projects from. My current work flow is to convert my hdv footage to prores 422 via firewire during capture, but for obvious reasons i don't want to continually do this on my start up disk. B&H has this drive it doesn't mention the drive speed but I'm banking on it being 7200rpm.

So my question is will it be sufficient to edit prores footage via a firewire 800 connection?

"It's all about keyframes"
Anonymous

2011 3.2GHz 27" iMac, Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe CS4

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: External Hard drive for Pro Res
on Jul 25, 2011 at 4:13:25 pm

G-Raid, Glyph, CalDigit VR, OWC Mercury Elite... Drives meant for video editing. That Iomega looks OK...butnot sure as to the drive reputation. They've been out of the picture for a while. But it looks decent.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 25, 2011 at 4:53:10 pm

Try to Google around and find out what brand of hard drive is inside that enclosure.
Iomega (and the companies Shane mentioned) don't make the drives, just the enclosures. The drives are either from Western Digital or Seagate...possibly, though less likely, Hitachi. Seagate has had some problems in recent years with quality control. Apple just recently recalled some iMacs due to problems with Seagate drives.

Of course, you can easily build your own purchasing an enclosure from OWC. I'd get a Hitachi or WD drive for it.

Return to posts index

Drake Hale
on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:03:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. If anybody stumbles across this thread I found out that all of IoMegas desktop drives are 7200rpm. But one of the OWC Mercury drives looks like it will suit my needs perfectly and I can daisy chain my camcorder to it as well.

"It's all about keyframes"
Anonymous

2011 3.2GHz 27" iMac, Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe CS4

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:17:41 pm

you want something that has a raid. its faster than just a single drive. I have a g-raid 4tb and I would recommend it.

Andrew Evans
Lake TV
iMac 2.5G Quad 8GB
FCS 3

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:50:39 pm

Sufficient, sure.

I sometimes edit prores on a USB2 drive, not ideal but it certainly works.

So yeah, sure, it'll work. if you want more reliability and speed then by all means use a RAID but it all comes down to cost vs benefit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]