FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making the Move to PPro or Media Composer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Rice
Making the Move to PPro or Media Composer
on Jul 24, 2011 at 8:27:37 pm

Well, with the seemimg demise of FCP, I am considering not wasting any more time & $$$ with the program, except for the current short I am finishing in FCP 7.

I have played with PremierePro and see the ease of switching to it, as it is what I had hoped FCPX would be. But at this point I'm asking myself should I instead switch to AVID Media Composer? Switching to the AVID would have a bigger learning curve, but in playing with the demo its really just understanding where the tools are and how projects are organized (which to me seems like the biggest difference).

My work mainly consists of Independent Film, and Corporate Video.
  • Which system will make me more marketable?
  • Is the AVID actually "better" than PremierPro, or is it an industry status thing?(I am not tying to insult here...just really trying to understand). Please elaborate on this....

I am also a Colorist and it seems that Apple Color is also dead in the water...so now I am off to BM Resolve. At this point, and I am sure Adobe will take care of this, PPro does not play well with Resolve, and as far as I can tell AVID does. So, this is another factor for me.

Any input here is GREATLY appreciated, as I am getting ready to throw down the $$. No thanks to Apple for bailing on all the Pro Users....that just frustrates the hell out of me, but it may be a blessing in disguise.

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions
http://www.kenaiproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Making the Move to PPro or Media Composer
on Jul 25, 2011 at 2:50:32 am

You can't use FCS 2009 any longer? It's not as if it's not going to run...

That's my input.. use it for a while yet. The less you spend, the more you make.. You losing clients because of FCP's situation right now?

Most users will just hold on for a while. Some folks have panicked a bit soon maybe. Since FCP 7 will run in Lion, I don't see a reason not to continue unless you need to build more stations of it. Then things change possibly.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rice
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:32:13 am

Thanks Jerry,

Yes, I am still using it and will until I make the next move. I am a bit frustrated though with Apple, and am really just trying to get some input on alternatives. But, yes, for now, I am still in FCP 7 and Apple Color.

Although I did just downland Resolve Lite and can't wait to dive in!

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 25, 2011 at 2:56:11 am

I think that Premiere Pro would me more suited to what you are doing. I would only suggest AVID if that is what a majority of the companies are hiring you to use. Or if it is the NLE used most often in your area. But for indepenent film, and corporate video, if it isn't FCP, it might be Premiere. Or that seems like the most logical step to go from FCP to.

[Andrew Rice] "Which system will make me more marketable?"

What do most people in your area, your type of video production use? Avid is primarily used for broadcast work.

[Andrew Rice] "Is the AVID actually "better" than PremierPro, or is it an industry status thing?(I am not tying to insult here...just really trying to understand). Please elaborate on this...."

Avid is a choice for certain workflows. Not the best for all. Really good for broadcast and feature film, but maybe not for corporate video.

[Andrew Rice] " PPro does not play well with Resolve"

You don't go directly from one to the other. You export a self contained movie, import that into Resolve, and export an AAF or EDL to cut it up.

[Andrew Rice] "and as far as I can tell AVID does. "

Yes, it does. But you need to purchase an add on for this to work. One that allows it to work with Avid media. Also know that Resolve requires more than just the app. YOu need a Decklink Extreme 3D card. That is the only one that works with Resolve. You also need an NVIDIA GTX4000 card. Not cheap. And a control surface. Unlike Color, you must have a control surface with Resolve.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:00:52 am

My job and my needs haven't changed with the arrival of FCPX.
I can kepp working with FC/Color for long, long time.
I've invested lot of money on my gear and nothing justify more expending now.
I will smoothly shift to PP and I'll try keep working with Color.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:08:09 pm

Gotta' say that the advice of continuing with FCP, Color, and the rest of the suite for the next few years makes enormous sense to me. In my experience, learning a new editing system is a week long commitment at worst. Who knows what 2013 will bring? Meanwhile I'll keep my Adobe CS5 Master Collection current, just in case.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:40:56 pm

I'd agree that there's plenty of life in FCS yet, and now isn't a great time to be switching systems - mac pros may or may not get updated. Will they get Thunderbolt, will we start to see Thunderbolt I/O devices? Avid about to go 64 bit with MC 6 and what I/O will that support?

This last one is particularly important if you're also looking at Resolve. Resolve will only work with a BlackMagic video card. Avid will only work with AJA or Matrox. That looks likely to change with MC6 but who knows for sure.

But those cross-grade offers from Avid and Adobe are extremely tempting, if only to get on the upgrade ladder.

I can't speak to Premier, but MC is always going to be a good option. No client is ever going to tell you "No, we don't want you to edit on Avid". I've heard that plenty of times over the course of the last decade working with FCP, and have had to fight pretty hard in some cases to cut with it.

I've fought FCP's corner (until X) because for the way I think, the timeline is better than Avid. Avid is not just a case of the projects being organised differently and the buttons being in different places. The way you cut in the timeline relies far more heavily on trim editing rather than drag and drop. It's a different way of thinking and it takes some getting used to. The smart tool is their attempt to make it a little more flexible, and it's a great idea, though they've not really nailed it yet.

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:39:50 am

[Rob Tinworth] "- mac pros may or may not get updated."
This is another enigma and mid-term concern.
What Apple gonna do now with "Macintosh"?
We should know by now that there is nothing impossible for iApple.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:24:37 am

[Andrew Rice] " Switching to the AVID would have a bigger learning curve..."

I came to FCP from being a long time Avid user and the learning curve wasn't a massive deal, so I wouldn't expect it to be very hard going the other way. It's not as different as you'd think.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rice
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:04:11 am

Thanks to all for the input here...I guess I am not in too big of a hurry. The old system still works right? Its just with the deals being offered by Avid and Adobe, it has me thinking of my next move.

I have to say if/when I do make a move it seems to me Avid is the better system. I really want to shift our of Corporate Video and work more o
in Independent Film, and with MC 6 around the corner, with a GUI change (a welcome one as far as I can tell), it might be good to jump on board. But at least I have until Sept.30 to decide.

More opinions are welcome....Thanks.

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]