FORUMS: list search recent posts

a little review on FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Wirth
a little review on FCP
on Jul 24, 2011 at 12:44:47 pm

So folks,

years have gone by, since my first FCP version 3.0. At that point I decided to go for FCP versus Avid because of the price and quality. Over the years FCP has become better and better. Motion, color, the whole package. The price was still fine. At the moment I will stick to Snow Leopard and FCP 7. FCPX or lets say i-movie pro? is no option. Or Apple will continue on the path of professional software. Walter Biscardi has written a very true but sad comment on this topic.
FCP has had its peak with version 6 and 7. In Germany most soccer events were edited on this tremendous software.
So at the present moment I'm looking into Adobe premiere or Smoke. When nothing happens within the next year I'm going to switch over.
This post is also for the apple people, perhaps they are still listening to the users, which are their customers. Perhaps they are blinded by the success of ipad and iphone. The most difficult times are those, when the sun shines right into your face. You don't see any more.

Tanks folks for the wonderful and professional advice in this forum. Keep on going

and thanks for the fish!

Rainer Wirth
CEO factstory film&TV

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: a little review on FCP
on Jul 24, 2011 at 3:44:03 pm

Can you elaborate about the options you mention?

Smoke and PP are in totally different leagues and one is over 10 times the price of the other, so I don't quite understand how it could be one, or the other, without a bit more of perspective...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:13:06 am

Smoke is a tool for high quality finishing, but not the application to start to cut a one hour documentary.
Well, that's what most people seems to agree.
That and the price (14K?), makes of SMOKE a very little natural option to FCP.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:29:29 am

Now, whats the difference?

Adobe Premiere 5.5 is like FCP. The progam package is very strong. It contains Photoshop and After effects, both strong and professional devices. The advantages of FCP are color with compressor and DVD stidio. Motion is more like a add on in compositing. Soundtrack pro is okay, but the sound guys mostly work with pro tools.
Smoke is a different league. Its advantages lay in the finishing. Means green screen keying, film effects etc. Editing with smoke is not that fast. The structure is different. But smoke works well in a network, it works perfectly together with FCP, Aja Kona, raids etc. are supported it is very reliable and rock solid but expensive.
The workflow shows like this:

editing in FCP without fades and effects.
finishing in smoke (different workstation)

Smoke is after effects, FCP, color in one program with a perfect touch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved