FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playing XDCAM MP4s natively through Calibrated Q

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Janzen
Playing XDCAM MP4s natively through Calibrated Q
on Jul 23, 2011 at 5:42:10 am

Calibrated Q has been a huge help. But nevertheless, the clips playbak in Final Cut with a bit of a jitter. It is not as smooth as when I simply play the clip via the mac finder window preview by pressing spacebar. I compressed the MP4 clip to the Apple ProRes Codec and it plays back smoother now in Final Cut. Is this a problem with the Calibrated Software's ability as a plugin?

Final Cut 7.0.3
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 12
Memory: 64 GB

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Playing XDCAM MP4s natively through Calibrated Q
on Jul 23, 2011 at 10:31:56 am

[Edwin Janzen] "Calibrated Q has been a huge help. But nevertheless, the clips playbak in Final Cut with a bit of a jitter. It is not as smooth as when I simply play the clip via the mac finder window preview by pressing spacebar. I compressed the MP4 clip to the Apple ProRes Codec and it plays back smoother now in Final Cut. Is this a problem with the Calibrated Software's ability as a plugin?"
MP4 are not supported by FC.
Callibrated lets you edit those files, but you can't expect the same RT performance than with any of the formats/codecs that can be edited native in FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:04:23 am

Hi Rafael,

"Callibrated lets you edit those files, but you can't expect the same RT performance than with any of the formats/codecs that can be edited native in FC."

Since all of the decoding and playback is handled by FCP7 and the Apple Pro Codecs - then editing performance should be virtually identical to the performance of using a XDCAM EX MOV file.

Per the below posts:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1118446
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2794282?start=0&tstart=0

there can be other reasons why playback of XDCAM HD/EX MOV files playback so Edwin if you want to email me at info [at] calibratedsofware.com - I can help try to pinpoint the issue.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 23, 2011 at 10:53:19 am

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the interest in our software!

Per your issue - Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for OSX does not actually playback or decode any video/audio in a XDCAM EX MP4 file - rather it enables FCP, FC Studio apps (except Color), QuickTime Player 7.6, CatDV and other applications to 'see' and 'use' a XDCAM EX MP4 file like a XDCAM EX MOV file - all of the playback in FCP7 would be handled by FCP7 and the Apple XDCAM Codec that comes with FCP7 - so I'm unsure of why you would be getter a jitter during playback in FCP7 - in fact when you're playing back the XDCAM EX MP4 files via QuickLook (i.e. pressing SpaceBar in Finder) - that's also using Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import to parse the XDCAM EX MP4 file and then it hands over the information to QuickLook to playback with the Apple XDCAM Codec, and likewise if you're compressing the XDCAM EX MP4 file to a ProRes MOV file directly in FCP7 or COmpressor - then the sam ething would be happenning - where Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import would parse a XDCAM EX MP4 file and hand over the information about the MP4 file to FCP7/Compressor where they would convert the file to a ProRes MOV file.

I don't know what could be causing a jitter during playback in FCP7 but you could always email us at info [at] calibratedsoftware.com and maybe we can help you get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]