FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with fuzzy video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben shouler
Problems with fuzzy video
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:37:50 pm

I had a project a year ago for which I was using Final Cut Pro 5, I was unable to finish i and had to shoot some more footage for it recently. In the time between I upgraded my G5 and also installed Final Cut 7...

Unfortunately the old projects no longer match where the footage is in the drive so I cannot (or do not know how to) reconnect the media files. I had exported the sequence however so I opened a new project, imported that video and then captured the new footage into the project.

The new footage captures fine but as soon as I play it back or try any editing it goes really blurry in the viewer, whilst the rest of the footage (from the old project) looks fine.

My playback settings are
RT: Unlimited
Video quality: High
Frame rate: Full

Sequence preset: DV PAL 48 Khz anamorphic (I am uk based)
Capture preset DV PAL 48 khz anamorphic

The footage was shot in HD with the same settings I've always used (Sony HDR-HC1 1080i) converting it into DV...

does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

thanks for reading

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Problems with fuzzy video
on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:00:10 am

Does the same thing happen when you've got SAFE RT selected? Usually a blurry playback that firms up when stopped is a symptom of FCP lowering the resolution in order to provide a smooth playback (no dropped frames) Going to SAFE RT tells FCP to play everything at full res no matter what. If your new footage resides on another drive from your old footage there may be a bandwidth issue, meaning the transfer rates are too low to support full res playback. If you're using a USB drive, for example, that's probably the issue.

The other thing to check is Quicktime itself. Launch QT PLayer, go to Preferences (not QT prefs) and make sure that there's a checkmark in the box beside "use high quality video setting when available.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved