FORUMS: list search recent posts

capturing entire hdv tapes withought making new clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barbara Santi
capturing entire hdv tapes withought making new clips
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:36:20 pm

Hi - Ive been reading the posts about hdv probs when digitising footage but I cant see a solution.

Im on FCP 7.0.3 - a couple of months ago whilst digitising HD footage (from Sony Z5) I noticed that individual clips were being made in FCP - I cannot find a way to stop this - does anyone now how to? Ive tried a variety of things but doesnt seem to work. I dont even now why this is happening...

Theres no visible timecode break and happens just when you dont want it to!

thanks
B

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: capturing entire hdv tapes withought making new clips
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:18:27 pm

Does this mean it's not breaking clips into individual shots, as it should be doing?
Which means you can eliminate bad takes easily?
Which means you're left with more storage?

Or do you mean something else?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:42:35 pm

Hi - thanks for your mail.

yes its breaking it up into individual shots (ie each time Ive pressed stop on the camera a new clip is created). I actually just want one continuous shot regardless how many times I've stopped the camera. It used to do this but when I updated something sometime ago (cant remember what) things started to change...any ideas how I can stop it doing this?
thanks
Barbara

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:10:12 pm

Ma'am, that behavior is a FEATURE, not a bug. I have no idea how to defeat it; personally, I never want to learn how.

I can think of no worse fate than scrubbing through hour-long clips just to find the few minutes of video I'm actually going to use. I would prefer to look at those many clips, delete the bad ones, sort them into logically-named bins. With a little work at the beginning, I greatly speed my editing later on.

But we all have out own styles. If yours works for you, knock yourself out. Because I would never, EVER consider your style of working, I'm of no use to you. Sorry.

An aside: you will be FORCED to think in terms of individual shots once you start using a camera that records to a card: that's the only way you an ingest video.
So you'd better get used to it, or resign yourself to using an antiquated camera with tape-based recording for years to come.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:26:50 pm

You -should- be able to set it to 'non controllable device', press play on deck/camera, and hit capture now.

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jul 24, 2011 at 4:47:41 pm

thanks for your comments. I do also use a camera which uses a card. Is the Z5 and Sony 5D antiquated equipment?

When I shoot I tend to use quite a lot of my material and dont waste tape. I dont scrub thru hour long tapes - it all depends how you shoot.

For cut aways yes I agree its a good function but I prefer seeing my interviews all in one batch rather than having it chopped up.

We all work in different ways - variety is the spice of life!

thanks
Barbara

Return to posts index

nayim saati
on Oct 7, 2011 at 5:01:39 pm

whats the point in coming on creative cow just to be a pompus jerk. Try and help someone every once in a while. You dont know what this person needs are, whether they need the entire tape or broken up in clips. I hope you feel better about youself thinking your a real top of the line pompus editor. get over it....

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:59:50 pm

There is a setting to make a new clip on TC breaks in the User Settings. You can change that to Make New Clip, Abort or Warn.
And there is a checkbox to create a new clip on start/stop in the Log and Capture window.
However the long GOP structure of HDV means there is almost always going to be a dropped frame (even if the TC doesn't show it) whenever there is a start/stop at the camera and you will get a new clip no matter how this is set.
You can capture HDV as ProRes, which is a straight 'Capture Now' type of situation that will roll the whole tape from wherever it's cued until you hit esc.
The downside to that is you don't get any logging info doing it this way, and if you need to recapture the clips you're starting over from scratch.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jul 24, 2011 at 4:41:27 pm

great thanks - yes I had already unticked the things you suggested and it was the same - thanks for explaining why!

Could you let me know how to 'Capture Now' type of situation as you suggested? When I do apple 8 it only lets me capture in one way - is there another? Apple pro res is good.

thanks
Barbara

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 24, 2011 at 5:30:50 pm

[Barbara Santi] "Could you let me know how to 'Capture Now' type of situation as you suggested? When I do apple 8 it only lets me capture in one way - is there another? Apple pro res is good."
Change your capture preset from HDV, to HDV apple ProRes. Don't use HQ.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jul 24, 2011 at 5:36:50 pm

great thanks...why not HQ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]