FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Go Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonas Molina
FCP and Go Pro
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:13:41 pm

I've shot my film on a JVC GYHD 251 (on HDV tapes). When I then import my Go Pro material the Go Pro material is "jumping" (chopping) every other second. I have created a new sequence for the Go Pro stuff and then it works fine. I think this might be a codec or FPS issue but everything I tried (convert the Go Pro file to same settings as the HDV sequence, export as many different formats) does not work.

Does anyone know how to sort this out?

I'm greateful for any answers!!!

Regards,
Jonas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP and Go Pro
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:48:20 pm

COnvert the GoPro footage to ProRes. Don't use the native files...they are not in an editing codec.

Edit both in a ProRes sequence.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonas Molina
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:58:50 pm

Both the sequences are set to Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) 960x720 24p. Still in the one where I only have Go Pro material it works fine without jumping but not when I put the Go Pro footage into the other sequence (the HDV footage). And both are set to same pro res settings. I find this very wierd!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:04:22 pm

Putting any non-HDV footage into a sequence with HDV settings...cna cause issues. HDV is a log GOP format...very different from normal single frame formats. If you plan on mixing footage types, you really need to use a ProRes sequence setting.

And you should convert the GoPro footage first.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonas Molina
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:23:11 am

I have tried to convert the Go Pro footage in 13 differrent settings and file formats but nothing works. I export them from FCP. Is there another software that I can use to convert the file?

I realised that the HDV-footage had 23,9 fps and the Go Pro had 25 fps. I believe this is why it's jumping every second. Even if I exported the Go Pro footage in 23,9 fps it still doesn't work.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:06:16 am

MpegStreamClip?
'Export to QuickTime' then choose your preferred compression codec.
Note: your available codec options should build as you add new versions of FCP/QuickTime based utilities. I find I now have now ProRes LT and proxy codecs after loading FCPX. I later rejected FCPX and got a refund..but hey it still works.
BTW...at the end of the edit you my like to have a look at Elgato TurboHD h.264 tool for generating rapid h.264 transcodes. Faster than Compressor and will even open XDCAM and AVCHD clips direct from the BPAV and PRIVATE folders. Great for generating lo res rushes without unwrapping.
'the highest reward for a persons toil is not what they get from it..but what they become by it'

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:33:20 am

You convert all the GoPro footage to ProRes using Compressor. This is what we do here. Takes a long time depending on how much footage you have.

I recently had to convert 24 hours of GoPro footage to ProRes and it took three days on the fastest 12 core MacPro there. One of the reasons why we're moving away from FCP 7 in our shop so we can edit with this footage natively.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:40:12 am

Walter, further to "One of the reasons why we're moving away from FCP 7 in our shop so we can edit with this footage natively.", what editing software have you settled on?

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:56:29 am

[Stephen Best] "Walter, further to "One of the reasons why we're moving away from FCP 7 in our shop so we can edit with this footage natively.", what editing software have you settled on?"

Have not settled yet. Using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 now in early testing because it works already with all of our hardware including our AJA Kona boards.

Just installed an evaluation copy of Avid Media Composer this week but have not really done much with it as of yet because of course the AJA Kona boards are not supported. Though the announcements from Avid at their event last week was pretty encouraging as far as their future path with the new MC 6. We will have Avid and AJA reps at our Atlanta Cutters meeting next week and hope to discuss some of these during our panel discussion.

Autodesk also sent me a copy of Smoke 2012 to evaluate as well. One thing I never knew is that there's an easy XML path to take FCP / Avid / Adobe projects straight into Smoke for finishing. It's pricey, but might be worth it to have one copy in the shop for finishing.

But for most FCP editors, I would suspect that Adobe Premiere Pro is the very easy path to go. It's everything you like about FCP 7, but has all the native editing features, dynamic linking to all the other apps, killer text tool and a lot more. Also you can open all your FCP projects in Premiere Pro via XML. No third party tools required.

If you go to vimeo.com and look up my name, you'll see three videos I've already uploaded on "Transitioning" that show how easy it is to translate your FCP workflow to Adobe Premiere Pro.

So for the short term, Adobe makes sense and I would not be surprised if long term we actually have a combination of Avid and Adobe. Being an independent Post house, it makes sense.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:13:31 pm

I know it's a dirty word around here, but FCPX handles GoPro footage very well natively!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:22:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "I know it's a dirty word around here, but FCPX handles GoPro footage very well natively!"

It's all the things it doesn't do unfortunately that is causing us to switch. But it's all good, very exciting times for us and the editors here are psyched by what they're seeing in Adobe so far.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jonas Molina
on Jul 24, 2011 at 12:44:13 pm

Ok. I'll try to export from compressor and if that doesn't work I'll try mpeg stream clip. Thanks everyone for the help! Hope this works!!!!

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Jul 24, 2011 at 11:17:41 pm

Thanks, Walter.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]