FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gamma shift on unrendered material

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean pollaro
Gamma shift on unrendered material
on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:38:50 pm

I'm color correcting a project for a friend that is giving me a big headache.. When I apply a filter to a clip or perform any action that requires rendering there is a huge brightness shift in the footage. It looks like the blacks are boosted up significantly. after I render it goes back to normal. This is making it impossible to color correct. Also, I keep getting this "preparing to display video" dialogue and rendering is very slow. pretty confusing considering my cpu is a dual 6core mac pro with 32GB ram. the footage itself was shot on tape and is in a 720X480 dvcpro/ntsc format. I work with HD 1080 footage all the time and have none of these issues. I've tried changing the sequence codec to various compressions but I have the same result.. Any Ideas?

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
Re: Gamma shift on unrendered material
on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:41:15 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm in FCP 7.0.3..

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:01:23 pm

[sean pollaro] "I'm color correcting a project for a friend that is giving me a big headache.. When I apply a filter to a clip or perform any action that requires rendering there is a huge brightness shift in the footage. It looks like the blacks are boosted up significantly. after I render it goes back to normal. This is making it impossible to color correct. Also, I keep getting this "preparing to display video" dialogue and rendering is very slow. pretty confusing considering my cpu is a dual 6core mac pro with 32GB ram. the footage itself was shot on tape and is in a 720X480 dvcpro/ntsc format. I work with HD 1080 footage all the time and have none of these issues. I've tried changing the sequence codec to various compressions but I have the same result.. Any Ideas?"

Yes, render the time-line and have a look.
A preview is that: a preview. You get the real thing in the Canvas only when the clip is rendered and you have the Canvas at 100%.
What kind of filters are you applying?
With your system and your footage you should be having lot of RT performance.
All that "preparing video for display" points to system problems, short RAM, or a complicated sequence.
A bit of system maintenance (permissions, directories,.. ) should help.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:21:03 pm

the main filters I'm using are magic bullet products. Colrista 2, looks etc.. I can't color correct because the second I make any kind of tweak on the filter the footage in the canvas becomes washed out. Its not telling me the truth. after i hit option R to render it the gamma shift goes away and my color correction is all whacked out. Again I have no performance issues when I'm using huge HD footage. weird..

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:22:59 pm

bump

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:18:29 am

ok.. Ive started a brand new project and this issue is happening again. Please will someone help me.. I drag the footage in the timeline and then add a filter and the image in the canvas becomes brighter. I hit render then it goes back to normal. Am I the only one with this problem? it doesnt happen with HD at all. only in an SD sequence. It happens no matter what the sequence or source codec. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]