FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large scale workflow organization

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Hutchins
Large scale workflow organization
on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:13:04 am

Not exclusively a FCP question, although FCS 3 is the system we're on for now.

I was hoping someone on the forum could point me to resources for getting large amounts of footage (99% tapeless), projects, assets, external hard drives, etc. organized with searchable metadata.

We're a smallish production company (7 full time employees) with about a dozen projects over the past two of years, a bit of previous portfolio type content, and we have the need to have a robust system for ingestion and project organization that goes beyond how I've been organizing projects one at a time.

We currently have a 14 TB RAID and an LTO drive for archiving. Our content includes everything from multi-cam live events and concerts, doco-style shorts shot on DSLR, green screen and studio shoots, long form episodic fictional narrative verite-style shows, and motion graphics and VFX with most of the finishing happening in house with the exception of audio and when we hire independent contractors to handle our post needs (editing, VFX).

I'm hoping to avoid CatDV and FC server is EOL'd. I guess I'm looking for something a little more old school using spread sheets and what not. I feel like there's a book somewhere that covers this kind of thing.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I should add that part of the goal here, beyond just keeping organized, is to have a searchable database of content that any member of our team or outside contractor can use to find content that we have. Right now, everything lives in my head and while that's good for my job security, it isn't the best or safest way to go about things.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: Large scale workflow organization
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:52:41 am

The one thing i was going to suggest, you seem to have something against - CatDV.

Whilst I don't use it myself, as i haven't the need, i was given an in depth demo by one of the writers of the software at a trade show a couple of years ago , and it would seem to be the ideal solution for your dilemma.

You say you want old school, but then list various options that would not really be easily achieved via old school methods.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:25:07 am

I would start by having a look to "Getting organized in FCP", by Shane Ross.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:20:27 pm

I already own that DVD and that's really more for organization at the project level. We're solid with regards to that.

I'm looking for something a little more meta.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:18:28 am

CatDV is what we are using here. Incredibly detailed in metadata world yet not too hard to learn.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:20:43 pm

That sounds like the way to go honestly.

Now I just need to convince my boss.

Thanks.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:31:09 am

[Graham Hutchins] " That sounds like the way to go honestly.

Now I just need to convince my boss."

It's a scalable product with three or four different levels. You can start out with a single user to get going with it and then upgrade from there later. The database will upgrade with you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]