FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 after Mac OS X Lion 10.7 upgrade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Escandon
Final Cut Pro 7 after Mac OS X Lion 10.7 upgrade
on Jul 20, 2011 at 2:27:07 pm

Hey everyone -

I was hoping to hear from editors with a Final Cut Pro 7 setup how their system responds after the recently released upgrade to Lion OS X 10.7. Please tell us your thoughts and experiences with upgrading on your production machine.

Thanks!

-Paul Escandon
Mason Zimbler | Digital Producer
http://www.mzl.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 after Mac OS X Lion 10.7 upgrade
on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:00:01 pm

Why do you feel the need to do this immediately when Apple has a consistent and annoying history of releasing operating systems that still need a lot of work?

Furthermore, I presume you understand any FCP 7 issues will be VERY LOW on Apple's list of priorities as they release fixes to the OS; when thinking low, think whale feces -- that's low! Apple may ignore fixes for FCP 7 issues entirely!

FCP 7 is no longer sold by Apple. Apple removed FCP 7 support from its web site. The only NLE you can now buy is the extremely-controversial FCP X.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on completely updating your current OS and completely running the updates for FCP 7, then squirreling away a cloned system drive or six for safety's sake until you can figure out your next move post-FCP X.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Escandon
on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:14:21 pm

Whoa Dave, WHOA!!

I think a lot of us here have multiple machines, some of which are our primary production machines and some of which may be personal machines that also run a copy of FCP. It's absolutely to be expected that some of us will start upgrading so that we can at least be informed of how the system performs and what caveats might be present. If anything, I'm going to have clients that may already be upgrading their edit bays to OS X Lion as we speak and I want to be prepared going into an edit what issues I might face.

Does that help provide some color on why I asked?

;]

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:09:26 pm

There are no issues relating to Lion that I'm aware of. I use it routinely now for couple of months. Of course I have Mac OS 10.6.8 w/ FCS3 on different HDD. Should the problem arise I can switch to it. Beware, it's not ready for production purposes yet.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Deborah Colony
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:40:31 pm

Ahhhhhh.... as a user of FCP 7, I called apple tech support. They were incensed that I did not have FCP X and declined to answer my question, namely which codec to chose for a HD DV to format. Turns out HD DVD no longer exists according to the condescending Apple guy. I trustingly embarked on a movie project originally rendered in 1080 x 720, can't seem to get much from compressor and Studio Pro except crummy MP-2 dvd that does run but cuts off the intro music and the color looks washed out. I have rendered the disc in several formats and none of them play on my Phillips DVP 3982. I called Phillips andthey recommended
DVD 50 hz horiz res 720 lines pixels 1920. Vertical res 576 lines 1080 pixels. Does this format exist in DVD X ? Or (sob! ) IS IT ALL A DREAM, DOCTOR.
I just want to render my little movie about a dancing camel to a high qual DVD (NOT BLU RAY, mind you, but just something that fills up that big fat tv screen and plays on an ordinary player.
A FREE CAMEL MOVIE to the person who can solve this problem. Thank you so much, Deb Colony MD

Return to posts index

Eric Gersh
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:56:05 am

I hear you, Paul. People are out of their minds about the latest upgrade and all you get is Bile at the moment.

That said, in general, I don't recommend ANY major OS upgrades, Mac or Windows until they've had one or two .0X updates under their belt. There are ALWAYS problems and you want to be careful with primary production systems.

As far as your test systems go, that's what it's there for. Create a back up and go to town. I'll be doing the same with one of the machines in a lab I teach in. We'll be checking program compatibility as well as Final Cut Server compatibility, which they've completely dropped much to my chagrin.

Hell, I've even got an FCPX install I'm playing with to see how it can fit into future workflows.

Apple has to get its act together and communicate better. It also wouldn't hurt to at least sell some FCP 7 licenses for a while since the new release is such a radical break.

Return to posts index

Scott Gosling
on Jul 24, 2011 at 7:32:03 pm

Indeed. I already have an iPad, and therefore have no desire to turn my Macbook Pros into one of them. Its clear to me that apple released final cut X with the intention of ignoring any support issues with FCP for Lion. Despite the pointless gushing on the Internet, it will be sometime before I make the move to Lion, or the Final Cut X, which I believe is a glorified version of Final Cut Express.

I bought a state of the art 17" MBP this year, and then had to fight the Sata III compatibility issues until about 2 weeks ago. The Apple support strategy was "its not one of our drives, and therefore we don't support it." This was the response for a user replaceable SSD hard drive. The whole issue made it clear to me that Apple has lousy QA, and has a low regard for its customers. This mentality nearly killed them the first time, and if they are not careful, could take them out for real this time.

After developing software for over 20 years, I've been burned too many times to jump on the newest shiny thing out there. I think everyone should hold back for quite a while before making the switch. With the forced AppStore download I think Apple is going to be in for a real shock. That first million downloads in the first 24 hours is going to generate support queries that will overwhelm them. One thing is clear with the release of Lion, and that is Apple is going for a mobile device strategy, and they are going to abandon everything else.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:09:36 pm

Paul,

I've been testing FCS 3 under Lion for a few weeks, and for the most part it works just fine, but it's not perfect. Lion certainly does not seem to be as bad as some of the early reports and/or bloggers have lead many to believe, but it's not perfect either. I've had several issues booting to my Lion partition for example, that require me to reboot while holding down the Option key. In other words, even though I wanted to boot to the same Lion partition currently in use, I was unable to do so automatically. Not a huge issue if you remember it before booting, but an annoying issue nonetheless.

For sure, if you want to test Lion you should build a separate bootable system drive or create separate bootable partitions as in my tutorial below.

Good luck,
David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Gallessich
on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:58:30 pm

David - we're all-ears here:
Do you have any more details beyond boot-partition-issues?

David Roth Weiss:
I've been testing FCS 3 under Lion for a few weeks, and for the most part it works just fine, but it's not perfect.

I just saw this super positive review (see text below)
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15663817#15663817
so I'm tempted to make a clone (not just a partition) and give it a try:
"I can't believe how much better FCP7 is running on Lion. I'm finising a documentary and trying to do the final renders. For the last few weeks FCP has been crashing half a dozen times a day. Dumped the preferences, cleared out folders, ect. Loaded Lion this morning, both FCP7 and Motion 4 are flying. Hasn't crashed once, renders are going through much faster.
Apple should've just released Lion and not FCPX, and people would be loving them right now."

I mean, if it appears more stable and actually faster, seems worth $30 + the effort.
But first I would like to see some more evidence than this one post.

I guess we're all beta testers now, unless we wait until the next full upgrade ("Housecat"?) ...

There's a followup with more details here
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15666385#15666385
along with one bumpy review, right afterwards, on the same thread.

Return to posts index

Laura Scott
on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:09:56 pm

FWIW this thread has several people saying that FCP7/FCS3 will not only run but install just fine on Lion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3134652?start=0&tstart=0

Official Apple statement re compatibility: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4769

I may try running the Lion update tonight.

••• PINGV Creative

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:41:12 pm

For a quick experiment I did a clean install of Lion onto a spare HD and then used the migration tool to get my applications across.
I opened an old FCP7 project, first issue was having to move Motion 5 as got error message saying FCP not compatible with Motion 5. This was solved by simply creating a folder and putting FCPX and Motion 5 into that folder.
(This does not happen under Snow Leopard despite the file structure in the Application folder looking identical without having to hide Motion 5 away.)
The project is all HD ProRes HQ footage and tried playing sequence that has 3 video layers, unrendered playing in realtime.
Initially I had problems with playback in that the timeline was very sluggish. No dropped frames just a pause after hitting play for a second or 2, or spinning beach ball for a second or so. However oddly this seemed to work itself out after a few minutes and now seems pretty much OK. (Raid storage easily quick enough and fine under Snow Leopard)
Ran though all basics and everything seems to work.
No way would I use it for anything other than testing hence spare HD and just a quick migrate of Apps but on the face of it seems to work.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:21:14 am

[Laura Scott] "
I may try running the Lion update tonight."

After cloning your system drive first I hope.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jul 24, 2011 at 5:49:44 pm

Just given Lion a try on my MBP laptop.

Incompatible software SiliconImage3132.kext = Express34 card esata raid5 controller

and SxS Memory card.kext = sony SxS card driver

Now apple really are trying to screw professional editors!!!

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:49:21 pm

at first my machine wouldn't even boot...but when i did a safe boot it reloaded the os and now everything is fine...no real speed differences. so far my only real problem was the stupid mouse up and down direction, it has been changed...when you want to scroll up you have to drag the mouse down...very dumb but you can turn it off. and my magic trackpad is a bit sluggish when spreading out the timeline in color with a reverse pinch or whatever you call that move where you unpinch with 2 fingers...i love the way it was before...so easy to just zoom in and out of the time line in color....hopefully somebody will update magic menu for the thing and make it truly programmable.

Return to posts index

Bill Rogers
on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:44:00 pm

Did some testing to see about FCP 7 under Lion. All was okay – Matrox MXO2 mini delivered the same good video to my monitor, projects saving fine, also reopening in Snow Leopard– until I couldn't get the VO tool to work in the Lion partition. Anybody found a similar problem and solution?

Coruway
Quad 2.8, eSATA RAID, 16 gig RAM, Matrox Mini Max

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:07:52 pm

only problem i found was when i wanted to render in color and had to keep setting the render directory for every project. previously it would default to a selected for all projects but now every new project has to have the directory set or nothing will go into the render queue.....

Return to posts index

Vicente Perez
on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:33:51 pm

Just did a clean install of Lion (from scratch) and FCP7 on my MacBook Pro i7. After just one project, the experience is not all that great.

-Lots of "out of memory" errors when rendering, which never happened before, even though I have upgraded to 8GB of RAM with the update. Rebooting FCP seems to fix the problem for a while.

-I have an external monitor plugged though the DVI port, which I use for preview. Picture freezes after 10/20 minutes of use. Refreshing A/V devices doesn't seem to affect, and the only way to get the picture back is by rebooting FCP.

-Exporting with quicktime conversion is buggy. Some of my final quicktimes (H264) had frozen frames and glitchy audio. Deleting renders and re-exporting didn't help. Had to export uncompressed and use Compressor. Sending straight from the timeline to compressor was giving "out of memory" errors.

It has just been one project, but my settings have been the same that I have used regularly in this same system for a number of years (ProRes HQ), and never came across any of the above.

I will reinstall Final Cut Studio before the next project, and see what happens...

Return to posts index

Vicente Perez
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:18:10 pm

Updated to 10.7.1 hoping that this would fix the issues with the external monitor (since it addresses a similar problem for iMacs) but everything remains the same. I have also changed the energy saving settings so the computer doesn't switch between GPUs, but that didn't do it either.

Another thing I have noticed. No matter what drive I set as my scratch disk, Final Cut will always create a second set of folders inside the user's documents folder.

Anybody else seeing this?

[Vicente Perez] "Just did a clean install of Lion (from scratch) and FCP7 on my MacBook Pro i7. After just one project, the experience is not all that great."

Return to posts index

Daniel Loyd
on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:34:39 pm

It's slower overall, on a MBP 2.2 (2007). Which is to be expected with an older machine. However, a fresh Snow Leopard install is more serviceable. You can edit with Lion on this machine, but the video drops too often for fine cuts.

Sincerely,

Daniel Loyd
Editor, Producer
http://DanielLoyd.com

Return to posts index

Frank Flynn
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:18:15 pm

Bumped up to Lion from 10.6.8 and FCP 7 performance was a disaster. I couldn't navigate along the timeline without "preparing video for display" popping up every time I moved the playhead, and the general response time was exceedingly slow. When I tried to play a sequence, there were drop frames galore, even on clips without filters. I did a fresh install of FCP on top of Lion, and there was no change.

Currently I'm cutting a film shot on the Arri Alexa, using ProRes 4444 files (not proxy) with Nick Shaw's LUT applied to all, and prior to Lion I could play down unrendered clips without dropping a single frame - so I know it's not my system.

I wound up backing everything up to an external drive, reformatting my hard drive, reinstalling Snow Leopard and all updates, then reinstalling FCP . A time consuming pain in the ass, but I've noticed a small speed boost and most important, Final Cut is humming along.

Bottom line: FCP seems to run flawlessly for some on Lion, while others are experiencing serious issues. I would resist the urge to upgrade, and stay with 10.6.8 if you want to ensure FCP runs as it should.

Return to posts index

Josh Williams
on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:27:03 am

There are huge problems with certain plugins in FCp and Lion. Red Giant has posted a couple of issues with some of their plugins and Neat Video Denoiser is also having issues. Basically after updating to lion FCP no longer saves information from plugins. So after you add the plugin and then quit FCP you have to reinitialize the plugin on whatever clips you used it on

Return to posts index

Brandon Rohde
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:35:41 pm

FWIW, I upgraded to Lion when it first came out on my home computer. I don't do much work with FCP at home, but I do a little bit for personal projects here and there. Recently, I was doing a slideshow for a friends wedding a home on my Lion/FCS3 machine, and everything booted/works fine except a few plugins. Specifically, I was using the Photo Montage plugin from Noise Industries. I could build the project fine and everything worked and rendered, however once I would close the file and reopen it, half the settings I changed on the plugin in the timeline were reverted back to the default. After a lot of frustration, I emailed Noise Industries Support and here is what they said:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The problem you're having is a known issue that appeared with OS X Lion. When Final Cut Pro 6 or 7 are running on Lion, they "forget" to save certain parameter configurations.

We've notified Apple of this problem, and we are hoping they will fix the issue in the near future. In the meantime, you have two possible workarounds:
- Use Motion to set up the same animation, using the Photo Montage generators. Motion supports the same effects as Final Cut Pro, and it is immune from the issue.
- Switch to a system that is still running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I took that file to my work computer running 10.6.8/FCS3, reapplied the changes, and it saved with no issues. Outside of the plugin though, I have had no other issues in the limited work I have done on my home machine.

Return to posts index

cass ketrick
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:49:15 pm

Why can I not find my plugins folder? I "unhid" my library (something that Lion does...which is weird), but that doesn't seem to be the correct library. How do I access my hard drives library?

Return to posts index

Nelson Torres
on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:13:04 am

While in the Finder click on the GO menu. Press the 'option' key and it will appear.

Return to posts index

Jennifer Ray
on Mar 2, 2012 at 10:53:33 am

has anyone tried to install fcs3 on a system with lion already on it? specifically a new iMac just purchased a couple weeks ago by a friend - I'm thinking about trying to partition that new drive and make it half lion and half snow leopard but it does seem that many of you are having ok luck with fcs3 running ok on Lion?

thanks and apologies if this has already been answered.
i had hoped that getting this new machine would be seamless transition wise to get right back to work on numerous projects but that has proven not easy to do - sooo much research to do first! :)

Return to posts index

Satva Leung
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:53:54 pm

I just installed 10.7.4 and FCP 7 is working fine.
I also have FCP X and there was no issues with both on the same system.

Return to posts index

Steve Denn
on Jul 8, 2012 at 7:21:51 pm

What are you running it on? Local drives? On a SAN? Xserve?

G5 DUAL 2 IBM Chip Set - 4gigs of Ram-
Leopard 10.5.5-
FCS 6.0.5

Return to posts index

Satva Leung
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:58:40 am

Just the internal drive on my Macbook and also tested on an external 500 gig g drive mini

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]