FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting Media Issue / Project Backup

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany DeLillo
Reconnecting Media Issue / Project Backup
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:13:01 pm

Alright. We got a sizable amount of footage from the Director yesterday. All of it was shot on 3 5Ds and a 7D with one to three cameras being used at once in any given shot. Each clip has a reel number when I open it in Log and Transfer usually along the lines of "Card_001_A_Cam", "Card_001_B_Cam", etc. I'm importing and encoding the footage to ProRes422(HQ) and keeping the original clip name and adding Scene, Shot/Take, and Angle notes.

My first big question is regarding how I'm storing all this media. We have a Buffalo 6TB Terastation TS-XEL 396 set with a RAID5 array. In the past we have merely used G-Tech Drives which I know aren't ideal but it got the job done, and files could be moved around easily. The Terastation is running on a LAN1 network and I access it the same way I would access our local server or another computer. Is this ideal for Final Cut Pro editing? Should I switch back to the G-Tech, since it seems a more immediate connection?

Second. When I look at my clips in the Browser, some are missing the Reel name. If this information is there when encoding, why does it disappear after?

Third. I had some files transferring overnight. Low and behold when I check on them this morning, all my media is disconnected and some won't reconnect unless I choose "Continue" in the "File Attribute Mismatch" box (which I'm also weary of). The main attribute giving me problems is the Reel name. Why is that? It's the one thing I haven't touched throughout the whole process.

Thanks for any and all help.


Return to posts index

Diego Lopez
Re: Reconnecting Media Issue / Project Backup
on Oct 22, 2011 at 5:18:22 pm

This thread is related to the problem you're having

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1118016#1118036

I've had the same issue and haven't been able to solve it or consistently re-create it. It is very frustrating

We have a server connected via LAN, and it works well for editing, but we haven't been able to discern if the storage method is related to the problem. I tested this theory yesterday by L&T the same footage from/to a local drive and separately our server, and the reel name came through in both situations. A different project on a different system created clips that were MISSING the reel names, so the server doesn't seem to be the problem.

We haven't really had a problem with media being disconnected after L&T, but we used to have problems with reconnecting media when it was moved to different drives. We solved this by re-naming the clips upon ingest in L&T using "Custom name and counter" and setting the custom name to match the reel name. As long as you name your reels something unique using a naming system (ex: PROJECT NAME_DATE_CAMERA ID_CARD#), then you'll always know what reel it came from and what clip it is (by using the counter) because no other clip should have that same name ever.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]