FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's The Best Way To Remove Uhms & Ahhs?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaye James
What's The Best Way To Remove Uhms & Ahhs?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:27:37 am

I've been using the blade tool but I remember I learned a more effective trick to get rid of them.

Anybody care to reveal?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. You guys are so awesome!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: What's The Best Way To Remove Uhms & Ahhs?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:04:11 am

The best way is for the Director to give the talent a heads up that they are doing it during the shoot.
Other than that, you're on the right track. It depends a lot on how tight the words are, and how much the talent runs their words together. Sometimes a short audio 'dissolve' can smooth the edit. Or adding some room tone to equal the length of the missing uhm, instead of cutting them out can work But that doesn't always work either. Sometimes even if you can cut them out, the dialogue doesn't sound right no matter what you do and you either have to put them back in and live with it, or have the talent re-cut the sentence sans uhm ADR style.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: What's The Best Way To Remove Uhms & Ahhs?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:32:20 pm

I rememebr back in my linear days, we had an interview recording of a guy with a speech impediment, he dropped the "s" on the end of words, and it was driving my client nutth. I told her to take her dinner break while I tried something. I found a good sibilant "s" from another spot in the guy's speech, and was able to past that onto the end of each offending word as an insert edit. She came back from dinner and one of the best compliments I've gotten for my editing was that on playback, she turned and said:

"HEY! You found alternate takes for all these scenes where the guy talks NORMAL! I don't remember shooting these twice!"

If the lip-flap isn't too distracting, you might try just pasting a copied piece of room tone over the "um"s. The other thing you could try is to set up a filter to downward-expand the audio at those points, adn just cut/paste the filter into those spots to help duck the audio. This works better if a second track has some unaltered room tone on it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]