Project with mixed progressive & Upper

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Project with mixed progressive & Upper
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:27:21 pm

HI,

a short Q:

I have a timeline in which 1920*1080 upper field footage PAL is mixed with Progressive 1920&1080 GoPro material.
How do I output this the best way?
Whole timeline Upper field first and then de-interlace with MB in AE?
What will that do to the already progressive GoPro material?

Thanx for a little insight on this.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Project with mixed progressive & Upper
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:31:00 pm

Progressive can be treated as interlaced, there is just no time difference between the fields.

So, edit in an upper field sequence and you can output to interlaced if you need, or de-interlace after you are done editing.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 19, 2011 at 5:43:29 am

And what happens, if I'd treat the timeline as Progressive, and output the whole film as progressive?
When I tried it with parts and opened it in the QT Player it looked ok and the Fields seemed to be vanished.
When I play then with the De-Interlace settings in the QT Player Preferences I do not see fields anymore.
Does that mean, by outputting it this way FCP made the clip automatically progressive?

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:58:59 am

It does not make any difference, except that your transitions will NOT be rendered interlaced.
This does not matter too much, but it 'may' result in your deinterlacer missing some parts.
(if it is smart as some are, it tries to see if de-interlacing is needed. If you make a DVE from interlaced to progressive, it might kick in/out at the wrong time)

Also, if you need interlaced output somedays (like for broadcast), interlaced fx look better (more smooth motion, especially on rolling titles and stuff)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]