FORUMS: list search recent posts

length of file names

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Pugh
length of file names
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:10:38 pm

OSX is supposed to accept file names up to 255 characters - but I've been having trouble in FCP with file names over 30 characters - particularly when needing to relink. Is this a known problem? Anyone else had this? With the advent of card based media long file names are getting a lot more common.

Best,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: length of file names
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:42:54 pm

Card based media naming doesn't exceed 32 characters. So I don't see why that is a problem. The problem is people modifying the name and making it longer than 32 characters. Don't do that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:54:39 pm

That's what's happened - with I suppose the lack of metadata available in FCP7 I've been getting files that first contain the date and time stamp, then the file number, then the offline editor has added a descriptive name - which puts them over the 32 characters. This I've found can cause havoc later when re-linking. But I've not been able to find much about this - is there a 32 character limit on file names in FCP7?

Cheers,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:12:51 pm

Look at your LOG AND TRANSFER naming settings...you have it set to add those names. Turn that off, and keep it to the FILE name, or make it a custom name.

Shane

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:12:08 pm

Sure, if I'm doing the log and transfer that's what I do - but the clips are arriving with the names already entered - I'm doing the online - so I have no control over how they are named in the transfer process. I was rather trying to establish whether there is a problem using file names longer than 32 characters - or whether the errors I'm getting are due to other causes. Have you heard that long file names cause trouble in FCP7? The FCP manual suggests its Ok to use names up to 255 characters long....

Best,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:16:07 pm

Oh...I thought you were saying you were having issues. I don't think you'll have much issue with this. But I haven't had many clips over 32 characters. But I must at some time.

Shane

Return to posts index

AtillaRist Rakov
Re: length of file names/ long path file
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:56:12 pm

I had a problem recently. When I was trying to delete a file which file name is too long, I could not do that. After days of searching I finally found software and using for some time. That is Long Path Tool, which can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename like 255 plus characters. So do not wait get your problem solved from longpathtool(dot com) website.

Return to posts index

Fransisco Blake
Re: length of file names/ long path file
on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:23:05 pm

Long Path Tool is surely a versatile piece of software. It can sort out any issue related to Long Paths.

Return to posts index

AtillaRist Rakov
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:58:28 pm

I had a problem recently. When I was trying to delete a file which file name is too long, I could not do that. After days of searching I finally found software and using for some time. That is Long Path Tool, which can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename like 255 plus characters. So do not wait get your problem solved from longpathtool(dot com) website.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]