FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP - creating multiclips from multiple segments of video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Pinder
FCP - creating multiclips from multiple segments of video
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:27:51 am

I'm working on a project that was shot on the Canon XF305 and Canon DSLR cameras. I have a number of interviews shot using both cameras, with the XF305 running for the duration, and the DSLR cameras stopped and started throughout.

I have synced my dual-system audio to the XF305 clips, and wanted to make the DSLR footage into a 2nd angle on a multiclip formed with the XF305 footage as Angle 1.

Because the DLSR footage is in pieces, I am looking for a way to create joined clips that can be made into multiclips, as it does not work with multiple chronological clips.

If I export a Quicktime reference movie of the DSLR video tracks in sync with the XF305 clips, this works quite well when re-imported and set as a multiclip. However, as there is a lot of footage, it was all brought in through the Log & Transfer tool at ProRes422 Proxy to save storage space. If I make Quicktime Reference files for all of these then the relationship for batch capturing for the online will be lost. I can recapture and replace the original video files in the Capture scratch with full resolution copies, and the Quicktime reference will then point to the full res video, however I feel this is asking for problems later on.

I have attached a still of the timeline with some example clips laid out.

If anybody can offer a good solution to this, I would really appreciate it, as it is becoming a bit of a problem, and I can't think of a more elegant solution...

Thanks a lot in advance.
- Ian

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: FCP - creating multiclips from multiple segments of video
on Jul 18, 2011 at 5:04:47 am

Honestly, multi clip was designed for continuous recording. Any solution you can come up with to work around it will chew up more time and disk space than its worth. Since there are only two cameras, I would just cut it the old fashioned way without trying to make a multi clip. Just use layers, as you set up in your screen shot and blade when needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved