FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is a 'kernel panic'?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Barringer
What is a 'kernel panic'?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 3:39:15 pm

and why is it preventing FCP 7 from running with the latest OS update?

Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: What is a 'kernel panic'?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:44:55 pm

A Kernal Panic is a OS crash. Like the blue screen on a PC.

You have some sort of a corruption there, likely on either bad media files or a bad install in general. When was the last time you performed a clean install on your machine? i.e., erase your startup disk and start over on software from scratch?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:48:49 pm

Well I really hope that I can put you out of your misery. I suspect you are going from OSX 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 and you have a Kona card in the system. May people have been bitten with this one, and it caused me no end of problems.

The Kona card with drivers earlier than v9 conflict with 10.6.8, so when you do the update and the computer restarts it crashed with a Kernel panic. The answer is to install the new drivers first, if you are going to be using FCP X then use the Beta drivers from AJA. Once you have installed the drivers the computer will update with no crash. Alternatively take the Kona card out until you have done the update and INSTALLED the drivers then reinstall the card.

I hope that this helps.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15:18 pm

There may be other drivers or components that aren't happy with 10.6.8. When I installed that update on my MacBook Pro I experienced immediate kernel panics when trying to boot up. There are no AJA drivers on the MBP. I reinstalled 10.6.7 and all is well. If anyone has an idea of what else could be causing the kernel panic I'd appreciate a heads up.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeff Barringer
on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17:15 pm

Hi Peter

Thanks for your information - success!! OK you are right - one needs to install the Kona drivers and upgrade first, then the OS update and the system now runs. Thank you Peter and to Scott who also replied to my earlier and rather frantic post.

Have a great day,
Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:52:57 am

[Jeff Barringer] "What is a kernel panic?"

The process in which corn changes to pop corn.

Return to posts index

Jeff Barringer
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:44:16 pm

Love it!

Thanks!

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved