FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frustration with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Barringer
Frustration with FCP
on Jul 17, 2011 at 2:34:25 pm

Hi everyone! About two weeks ago - at the latest OS upgrade - my FCP 7.0.3 abruptly quit working and my computer told me I had a 'kernel panic'. I've taken the machine into two different service companies and both of them have only suggested that I completely wipe my drive clean and do a full new install. Which, I've done. Nothing. Now FCP won't even start, it just 'quits unexpectedly' as soon as I try and start it up. I'm stumped. My system is a three year old dual 3.0 Gig processor system w/ kona3 - which until now has run flawlessly. What can I do? Any ideas gratefully implemented:-)

Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Frustration with FCP
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:07:31 pm

[Jeff Barringer] "Hi everyone! About two weeks ago - at the latest OS upgrade - my FCP 7.0.3 abruptly quit working and my computer told me I had a 'kernel panic'. I've taken the machine into two different service companies and both of them have only suggested that I completely wipe my drive clean and do a full new install. Which, I've done. Nothing. Now FCP won't even start, it just 'quits unexpectedly' as soon as I try and start it up. I'm stumped. My system is a three year old dual 3.0 Gig processor system w/ kona3 - which until now has run flawlessly. What can I do? Any ideas gratefully implemented:-)"

Did you clone your system, or at least have a Time Machine backup of the system drive? If so, just roll back before the upgrade.
Always, always make a copy of your system before making changes, especially if your system is running fine. And don't upgrade without doing some research first. There has been a rash of these KP's caused by the latest OS upgrade, and the upgrade has nothing that's going to make editing, or other pro apps improved. Just some code to make it easier for you to use the app store, and break your pro apps in the processes.

As for why a clean install won't start? Hmm, thats weird. Is it just FCP, or can you open other parts of the suite? It should work if you:
Is your system drive formatted incorrectly? Should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Install the OS on a fresh drive. Manually update the version with the downloaded update file, instead of the auto update, stopping at the last good working version.
Do a permissions repair.
Install FCS, and do the pro apps updates only. Don't update anything else until you get a working system, and then only if you clone it first.
Install your drivers for things like the Kona.
Install any plugins.
Repair permissions again.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Jeff Barringer
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:30:34 pm

Thank you for your note - I'm stepping through the process again - in the meantime here are some responses to your list -

Did you clone your system, or at least have a Time Machine backup of the system drive? If so, just roll back before the upgrade.

Yes I cloned the disk - but, no time machine.

Always, always make a copy of your system before making changes, especially if your system is running fine. And don't upgrade without doing some research first. There has been a rash of these KP's caused by the latest OS upgrade, and the upgrade has nothing that's going to make editing, or other pro apps improved. Just some code to make it easier for you to use the app store, and break your pro apps in the processes.

Of course.

As for why a clean install won't start? Hmm, thats weird. Is it just FCP, or can you open other parts of the suite?

Everything else seems to work OK.

It should work if you:
Is your system drive formatted incorrectly? Should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Yes, it is so.

Install the OS on a fresh drive. Manually update the version with the downloaded update file, instead of the auto update, stopping at the last good working version.

Right now I have the basic snow leopard 10.6.3 but it may have been updated - but, now I can't tell.

Do a permissions repair.

Done.

Install FCS, and do the pro apps updates only. Don't update anything else until you get a working system, and then only if you clone it first.

I've re-installed and am holding pat at 7.0 before moving forward.

Install your drivers for things like the Kona.

Done.

Install any plugins.

Not required.

Repair permissions again.

Done.

Will keep up the effort. I think if I can't get this up and running soon, I might simply abandon FCP for Adobe CS5.5.

Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:00:37 pm

[Jeff Barringer] "Yes I cloned the disk"

Hey, if you cloned your system disc before you ran the upgrade that caused your problem, your golden.
Then clone is a mirror of your old working system, so just move that system disc clone to a fresh drive, make it the boot disc, and your back in biz.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]