FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big footage problem! Footage changing in the finder!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Westmoreland
Big footage problem! Footage changing in the finder!
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:39:55 pm

I am currently editing a music video but I have a serious problem. I am using Final Cut Pro 7. The problem starts when I start up final cut and it says that some footage needs reconnecting. When I go into reconnect it, the footage isn't even the same. For example, when I logged and transfered clip #35 was footage of the drummer, but when I go to the finder it is footage of the singer. I'll even be able to go to the finder and look around looking for files and it switches them right before me. One second it'll be footage of the drummer, the next second it will be replaced with footage of the singer or a master shot of the entire band. This problem started happening early on in the project, so I decided to recapture footage which worked for a little while. I really don't know what can be causing this problem. I'm not sure if it's a problem with final cut, finder, if there's a virus that's messing with files, or that the footage was shot in AVCHD? Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Tharp
Re: Big footage problem! Footage changing in the finder!
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:39:48 pm

Hi justin,

From what you're saying it sounds like your filesystem on whatever disk this media resides on is corrupted. Good thing is most likely all your footage is still there and intact but the 'directory information' is pointing to the wrong location on disk for any given file name.

I recommend running Disk Warrior from Alsoft. There are some other free alternatives out there but if you're not comfortable using the command line then I highly recommend Disk Warrior.

When you run Disk Warrior you'll want to select the option that resembles 'Repair Filesystem' on the drive that has this media. The excellent thing about Disk Warrior is that it will allow you to confirm your filesystem is actually fixed before committing any changes. For example you can make sure clip #35 is actually displaying the intended footage.

Hope this helps.

Steve Tharp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved