FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Do This Twisting, Jpeg Effect In Final Cut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaye James
How To Do This Twisting, Jpeg Effect In Final Cut?
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:01:49 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/65005298/

Can someone explain how I can get this effect. I have a website shot that I need to do this effect for in final cut pro. It starts at 0.19 seconds.

Is it just keyframing.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How To Do This Twisting, Jpeg Effect In Final Cut?
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:36:55 am

YOu need Photoshop to separate all the elements. Then AE or Motion to put them in a 3D plane, link them as you do this 3D turn. Pretty complex. Childs play to an AE artist though.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 16, 2011 at 7:53:07 am

It's basically multiple layers with a similar 3D move but a different Z position on each, which isn't something that FCP is particularly good for (reminds me of building that kind of thing with a single channel of A57 and bouncing between disks for each layer a good few years ago - possible but not advisable when there are much better ways to do things).

As Shane says, Motion or AE is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Jaye James
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:49:33 pm

Thank you for your direction. I was baflef! Now I'll go chase down how to do it in motion. I only want the turning. I don't care about the separating layers. J

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:25:41 pm

This is cake to do in Apple Motion, either as one plane or multiple ones. I can do it and I'm certianily not an expert with Motion, you can too.

To make it more like the sample you posted, you should take the graphic into photoshop and save it as a .psd file with layers, and put each box on its own layer. SAve the file and be careful to check the "preserve layers" box during the save dialog.

Start a new project in Apple Motion. Go to "Import", and import the photoshop file as a project. it may ask if you want the image flattened, or as separate layers. Tell it separate layers.

Go to the timeline view or layers view. Click one layer at a time, then use the XTZ position sliders or the onscreen arrows to just shift the layers a little bit in the Z axis, front to back.

Now set your first camera position by dragging the camera POV. Hit the onscreen red "record" button, next tot eh payback controls. Hit play, and let the play head roll for however many seconds you want the move to happen, hit stop. Now drag the camera to the final position, adjusting its rotation as well. You set the keyframe as soon as you start to move the camera. When you like the final view, turn off the recording button. Play back the timeline to see how you like it. It may be that you'll want to add a keyframe in the middle, just park the playhead where you want to make the change, turn on the recording button, adjust the camera pointing, turn off the record button, test play it again.

You are done!

If you want to get fancier now, in the timeline view is a track for each layer. Drag the tracks a little bit t offset them, and your layers will pop up in sequence. You can also add a fade or other behavior to each track. Just do a save every time you like what you have, and before you try something new, and nothing you mess up will matter, just re-open the previous saved version.

Really, it is very intuitive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]