FORUMS: list search recent posts

ramping down music speed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
ramping down music speed
on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:25:29 pm

okay gurus, i want to do an effect where music is happily playing along, something happens in the video to stop the fun (change the mood), and i want the music to follow the action by doing one of those quick ramp-down of speed/rate, as if a record player is being unplugged. i see that i can't do a variable speed on an audio-only clip via cmd-j, so tried linking it to a video clip, which sort of worked, but not really. any ideas on how to do this effect?

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ramping down music speed
on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:54:06 pm

I know how to do it in After Effects, if that's any help...
  • Get your timings down in FCP: the point where the should slow, and stop. Keep in mind that as the music slows down, it takes longer to play.
  • Place the music AIFF file in an AE Comp.
  • Enable Time remapping.
  • Put a time remap keyframe at the point in the MUSIC (not the point in elapsed time) where it should stop.
  • Delete the layer's last time remap keyframe.
  • Put a time remap keyframe at the point in TIME where it should start to slow down.
  • Drag out the first time remap keyframe you made -- the one at the point where the music stops -- to the point in TIME where the music should stop.
  • Play with the graph editor to make the music speed ramp down smoothly, dropping in pitch and finally stopping.
Usually AE's a dog when it comes to audio. But this little trick saves it in my eyes. I used it to slow down a guy singing "A Bicycle Built For Two" just like it happens to HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]