FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro using too much disk space

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Fishback
Final Cut Pro using too much disk space
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:30:30 pm

So when I left my office last night, my computer had well over a hundred gigs available. This morning my eye happened to glance at what's left in finder, and 1.4 gigs was left. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where this happened. I checked scratch disks, but I always set those to external hard drives. So, I ran Disk Inventory X and found out that F.C.P. is taking up 137 gigs... Is that normal? I didn't think that it is; however, I freed up some space elsewhere and already it was eating more hard drive space. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks a ton,
Jay

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Final Cut Pro using too much disk space
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:49:35 pm

Me thinks your copy of FCP became self-aware and is poised to launch first wave of suicide attacks against humanity. You'd better run for it.

Joke aside, FCP uses disk space for render files. You hinted that it miraculously happened over night. May be you have auto-render function enabled and having hour or two of HD in open time-line with some filters that need render could add up to it.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:00:06 pm

Render files are going INSIDE of the FCP app. Odd bug, happens on occasion. Right-click on FCP and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS. Look for a RENDERS folder in there. Trash it. BUT ONLY THE RENDERS FOLDER. You are inside theFCP app remember.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jay Fishback
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:07:10 pm

Thanks Shane!

That was exactly the problem... You have helped me before with other issues where I found your answers in other threads, so this is my chance to say thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Jay

Return to posts index

Maria Vahuri
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:11:09 pm

Hi, I have exactly the same problem and I deleted the render files but didn't get any space back from that. :(

Return to posts index

Jay Fishback
on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:52:18 pm

In terminal write in this code. Do not copy in the $ sign as it is the prompt and terminal automatically does it. For me this wasn't instant, but later in the day it finally worked. Also make sure to copy everything correctly.

$sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash/*

Return to posts index

Maria Vahuri
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:35:13 pm

Thanks Jay, that actually worked as much as it could and gave me some space back (3.5GB), also moving my scratch files to external drive was a good move.

And if anyone else with this problem has a Dropbox (downloaded app) and it has been syncing last few days it also can be the cache from that so from Finder> Go> Go to folder (Mac) and type in ~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache and delete all that cache which was my main problem- 60GB space restored.

Return to posts index

Sacha Atkinson
on Aug 4, 2012 at 8:02:47 am

OK here we are a year on from your post.
I am running FCPx last year's version.

FCPx has been eating up disk space since i got FCPx last month. I have moved stuff to drives to free up space, but its getting tight in here!!

this morning I booted up FCPx and I had 2.5 Gb left - from 40GB last week!

Anyway, today all i did was cut and delete 3 small parts from a timeline clip. About ten mins work after boot up. I ran out of HD space. Like 2.5GB gone in ten mins with 3 cuts..

It can't be rendering from last time used surely?

So I found this post and realised it was an issue.

I have done as you say but there is no Render file inside my app - package contents - it just doesn't exist..
The only render folder is in the project folder.

Have you come across another way?

Thanks
Sacha

Return to posts index

Mike Malone
on Jul 24, 2015 at 6:27:06 pm

Hi Shane.

I tried your advice but there's no file titled RENDER in there. Any suggestions on making that work or another method of freeing up space? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Return to posts index

Jay Fishback
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:01:28 pm

Haaaa! That will soon happen!

Well that is what i thought initially, but it is in the application itself? And to the best of my knowledge it was closed over the night? Could it be hidden inside the application and if so how do i extract it?

Return to posts index

Ryan Maloney
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:44:14 pm

Not normally. Unless of course you have all of your processes linked and running to your mac hard drive which isn't smart. I'm running mine on a macbook pro and I'm fine because I invested just $90 in to a 2TB (2000GB) external hard drive so my laptop runs fast and won't get junked up. I link all of my videos to the external so that nothing really goes onto my macbook except the actually running of the program. Without the external attached, I can't edit but it is sooooo worth it because not only will it not junk up my college laptop with all of my papers, etc. but there are rarely ever problems. Look on ebay for them and you can get a good deal like mine
Ryan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:53:43 pm

Welcome. Who knows why that happens. It's an odd one.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]