FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X Upgrade problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Anderson
Final Cut Pro X Upgrade problem
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:54:03 pm

Hi,
I know this is everywhere but I'm stuck. I had a pre-intel liquid cooled mac until June. I know old mac but it did what I needed. Computer started to get a little weird so I went to my local Apple store to discuss my setup and get a new machine. I edited in FCP 5.something. Avoided upgrade due to intel needed. Also do some graphics and AE animation.Store's biz person listen to my biz requirements and recommended new 8 core for my budget. I only edit for part of my biz so it was a few weeks before I looked at getting the FCP X. Seemed a little cheap and the suite upgrade was gone. Called Apple and he said I had to buy items separate. Still seemed cheap so I read a few reviews and realized I can't work any pre X projects. All Apple folks said any upgrades from 5 are gone and no longer available - only X. When asked how they could call this an upgrade all they said was it's all new technology and works better. I wanted FCP 7 and he said adobe wouldn't sell cs3 why would we sell fcp 7. My reply was if I had CS1 files they'd open in CS5! (even pre CS files will do that!) He finished by saying I would have to buy 3rd party - which only leaves full versions or questionable downloads with "keys". I've never bought or used unlicensed software - ever. I'm a one man biz and I would rather take the cash hit by doing the right thing. I have adobe master suite and will migrate new work to premiere but I have A LOT of project work in FCP. My question - any thoughts on what I should do to get fcp 7? (BandH is out) Thanks in advance. Scott

Scott Anderson

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Pro X Upgrade problem
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:56:05 pm

eBay, perhaps? Be prepared to pay through the nose.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:02:42 pm

check the cow classifieds forum here too.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:56:02 pm

I took a peep at ebay and found a number of offers. I suppose as long as you have proof of purchase (box, print materials, original installation disks) it's pretty legitimate deal and if something happens to your serial number, lost or somehow blacklisted, you can always expect Apple to respect your copy and issue a new serial for you.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:40:45 pm

Just buy media composer (or premiere) and automatic duck. I wouldn't mess with FCP X because by the time you have bought all the third party software to make it work you have spent more than premiere and media composer combined!

Return to posts index

Scott Anderson
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:11:03 am

I do have Adobe Master Suite but I won't be able to open 7 or 8 years worth of FCP projects. Really hard to justify the time needed to redo a large project with a small change. I went through this mess a while back when Adobe stopped supporting Apple. I left Premiere and built around Apple. Just put 5k into a new Apple while being reassured this was THE solution to continue my pro-video biz. . Really thought this would be great to stay up with HD. While 7 upgrades are hard to find and full versions are expensive - I owned the full suite and Apple won't sell an upgrade I can use. Apple told me to upgrade to X. X is not an upgrade - it's a new program. It has nothing to do with pre X. I got stuck in the middle of the Flash junk as well.... another time. Thanks for everyone's time and suggestions.

Scott Anderson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]