FORUMS: list search recent posts

4 Monitors output x2 Nvida Gt 120

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
4 Monitors output x2 Nvida Gt 120
on Jul 12, 2011 at 2:51:17 am

Hey All Im thinking about Purchasing another NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 for my 2009 MacPro. It so I am able to output into 4 external monitors for FCP. Is there anything special I should know before I purchase it? Do you just Plug in in the PCIe slot and your good to go? Any Advice would be appreciated

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 4 Monitors output x2 Nvida Gt 120
on Jul 12, 2011 at 3:00:30 am

I recall there have been posts in the past that talked about how FCP can't handle two graphics cards.

You might want to search this forum to see what that was all about, but my memory of that was that it is not a good idea for FCP. I think it also is a disaster for Color which uses the GPU more extensively.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 12, 2011 at 3:07:16 am

hmm.well thats disappointing...

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Christian Kinnard
on Jul 12, 2011 at 3:43:20 am

You kind of have to trick FCP a little bit. Essentially, you set up your monitor screen on the first card 2nd slot, then use your 2nd card for work spaces. I've been running the 120 on my late 2008. It takes some tinkering to get the exact layout you want. I'm pretty specific as to which monitor my finder bar is on etc. I also did this set up on a studio film offline, 2006 quad, 2 of us editors had a 3 monitor set up no problem.

A cheap monitoring solution if you only want playback and workspace. I never do color correcting myself, so I just need to see the offline playback. Obviously the caveats of inaccurate color apply.

Christian

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:29:15 am

Well COuld I have 2 GFX cards but only use 2 monitors will FCP still Freak out?

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Christian Kinnard
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:30:22 pm

Yeah, wouldn't be a problem. Essentially, the only issue is forcing a certain monitor to behave as the external monitor. Nothing funky happens if you just have two monitors in one card. Really nothing weird happens at all, just when you try to turn on full screen monitoring.

Return to posts index

Jed Weintrob
on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:45:51 am

Hi Christian,
Could you give me some more specifics on your setup. specifically:
- when you say the set up monitor screen on first card, 2nd slot, do you mean on the mini displayport of the lower card? (my gt120 has 1 mini displayport and 1 dvi port)
- are you using powered mini displayport to dvi adapters for the monitors or non-powered (i have both, can't get either to work in 3 monitor config on this machine)
- the setup i'm trying to get to work is:

1 - left monitor has final cut timeline, bins, etc - this monitor also needs to have the menu bar on it
2 - middle monitor has canvas only (it will be blown up full screen for editor to work with, editor will select 'fit to screen')
3 - right monitor will be digital cinema desktop preview

i can get this to work IF i put the menu bar on the middle monitor, but as soon as i move it to the left monitor, everything goes haywire, and i have an editor who insists that it be on the far left.

thanks much in advance for your help
best
jed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]