FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brady Hames
Dropped Frames
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:46:43 pm

I've got a problem with dropped frames when playing back my ProRes LT sequence. It stutters in the final cut canvas, but plays fine on my external monitor, which is being fed by a Kona LHe card. My sequence is set to unlimited RT (tried Safe as well), dynamic playback on both frame rate and video quality, playing base layer only. I've only got one, sometimes two tracks of video, but upwards of nine or ten tracks of audio. I've trashed the prefs, updated the kona drivers, and done almost everything else I can think of. When I restart FCP it works fine for a while, but inevitably starts chugging after a while. I've closed all other open sequences, and done everything else I can think of. I'm playing a 1080 23.98 ProRes LT sequence with all media stored on an internal drive. Any suggestions? I'me wondering if it's something to do with the Kona Card. Specs below...

Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core
6 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
AJA Kona LHe v. 9.0.3

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Dropped Frames
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:00:32 pm

[Brady Hames] "My sequence is set to unlimited RT (tried Safe as well), dynamic playback on both frame rate and video quality"

Brady,

When you set your RT setting to "dynamic" for frame rate you're likely not going to get smooth playback, as you've essentially told FCP that's not important to you. Change that and see if the canvas doesn't play at speed. If not, then you likely have another issue, more than likely hard drive related.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Brady Hames
Re: Dropped Frames
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:19:12 pm

Thanks, David. I set the playback video quality to low, and I'm still having the same issue. It plays back fine until I hit a piece of unrendered media. Even after I render, it still has trouble playing back. It's as if it gets tripped up and can't recover. The strange thing is that playback through the kona card is fine. I did a disk speed test on the media drive and it's showing read and write speeds at around 150 MB/s

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]