FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing a time lapse

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Caridi
Editing a time lapse
on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:23:34 pm

I took pictures of a sunrise every 5 seconds for 30 seconds and want to do the typical time lapse... where you crop part of it, and for each successive photograph, the crop mark moves a little too. This will ultimately be in Final Cut Pro, of course. What is a good tutorial for doing this? And what about doing more complex things like superimposing one crop of a picture across a crop of a different part of the picture, and still having the scene "move?" Or even making the succession a keyframed video clip, so the colors, etc., could change as the pictures progress?

Thank you for any sort of help!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Editing a time lapse
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:11:09 pm

Why are you cropping?
Why are the crops not the same on every frame?

I would run ALL the stills through an automated process to:

Open Image.
Resize Image.
Save As XXX.png.

You can do this w/ PhotoShop or other batch image program.

Then, open image sequence in QT7 and save it out as a prores mov file.

OR

Import stills into AE and render out a movie.

OR

Set your import stills duration in FCP to 1 frame.
Import all stills.
Drop in Sequence.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jason Caridi
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:18:16 pm

I'm cropping because I shot 22MP and area-wise... only need about 1/10 of the frame, and on top of that I will be tilting up throughout this area I need. How do I do the batch process in Photoshop, and when I do, do I resize it to only contain the 1/10 of the image (in total, I guess I could do the motion in FCP?) that I need?

Sorry if I'm confusing, I was up all night shooting the sunrise and shots at a New Jersey beach

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:31:34 pm

Photoshop has a Automate batch option, you'll have to look into it.

Moving and cropping will make this more challenging for sure.

I would resize to what you want to edit.

1920X1080
or whatever.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:32:02 pm

Use tghe batch actions in photoshop, keepign the final frames huge/ original size and res, to get your time lapse.

The either use QT pro to export the sequence of stills into one MOV file, or import the stills to a bin in FCP, with your perfercnes for stills duratino set at 1 frame, then drag and drop the contents of the folder to the timeline, render into a single mov file, and now, you have the ability to crop and add moves and filters and whatnot to the bae animated footage, easily and nondestructively.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]