FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction: Different Result in Frame Viewer and Canvas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simone De Domenico
Color Correction: Different Result in Frame Viewer and Canvas
on Jul 10, 2011 at 11:06:48 pm

Hi,

I´m doing some color correction with the 3 way CC tool and i´m having troubles with Frame Viewer: the results are not the same in the Canvas and Frame Viewer. The colors in Frame Viewer are a little bit more saturated and they are also a bit darker.
I figured out that it happens in a lot of different configurations (Mac Pro, Imac and macbook Pro) but just with Snow Leopard.
This problem doesn't exist in Tiger and i haven't the opportunity to test it with leopard.
I found a topic in this forum support, where a guy had the same problem, he solved with the excess luma command, but it doesn't make sense, infact I still have this problem.

I think that this is a software problem and also quite big, btw what i want to know is, which reference is more accurate?
Frame Viewer or canvas?

PS
I know that FCP is showing me a low res proxy of the image and also I know that to color correct accurately, I need a calibrated external video monitor fed by a qualified capture card such as those from AJA, Black Magic or Matrox.
But my question is not how i have to color correct.
The question is: why "Frame Viewer" and Canvas are so different? and which one is the more reliable?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Color Correction: Different Result in Frame Viewer and Canvas
on Jul 11, 2011 at 1:15:05 am

[Simone De Domenico] "I think that this is a software problem and also quite big, btw what i want to know is, which reference is more accurate?
Frame Viewer or canvas?"

I would trust the Frame viewer over the canvas, but as you pointed out, neither is trustworthy. Do a short test, burn a DVD and have a look on a few TVs. If you are grading for the web, then make a file and test it on a few computers.

Snow Leopard actually fixed the display gamma issue that was in earlier OS's so it should be more accurate for gammas of 2.2.

Return to posts index

Simone De Domenico
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:38:08 pm

Hi Michael,

I did my test, but I hope to find out other opinions. I would say that frame viewer is more reliable, but I found an article where other people say otherwise.

Why the result are so different?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 12, 2011 at 1:16:30 am

The difference is due to the fact that neither frame or canvas is in anyway an attempt to show accurate color and gamma.

Return to posts index

Simone De Domenico
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:46:08 am

Yes I got it but my question is assumption that they are both wrong, which one is the best approximation of my output?
Anyway in the Apple support forum someone told me Canvas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]