FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPS 2 compatibility lion osx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Warner
FCPS 2 compatibility lion osx
on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:13:42 pm

Does anyone know yet if FCP studio 2 (fcp 6 etc) will work on lion?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCPS 2 compatibility lion osx
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:16:44 pm

Not sure why you would want to take the risk? I still have a G5 in the corner running the last version of Tiger with 5.1.4 and FCS2 installed on alt boot drives.

A stable version running on a 32 bit OS is gold. Lion is likely to have significant changes and will be a 64 bit OS by preference. Drivers for other hardware like RAID drive, I/O devices etc may not be available for your existing systems requirements.

If you want to upgrade, follow the advice so often given here of cloning your system drive and doing a clean install of OS and FCS2. Bear in mind that updates to the last version of FCS2 may not longer be available online. Don't just upgrade the OS over the old one and expect FCS2 to work.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:55:38 pm

Serious?
Apple said that fcp 7 will run on lion.
Do that or switch.

Return to posts index

John Warner
on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:03:34 pm

I also heard that fcp 7 will be fine on lion but i still have fcp 6...and now it is not possible to upgrade to fcp 7....if fcp 6 does not work with lion....i'm seriously stuck!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 9, 2011 at 12:21:13 am

Does FCP 6 work well with your current system? Is so, you are not stuck. Just a version or 2 behind.

There are a lot of people selling FCS3.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Douglas Morse
on Jul 9, 2011 at 1:45:11 am

There are ways of getting FCP 7. I'm sure an industrious person can work it out. But I imagine studio 2 will work as it's what I have....

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Jul 9, 2011 at 2:17:11 am

[John Warner] "Does anyone know yet if FCP studio 2 (fcp 6 etc) will work on lion?"

No John, it will not work on Lion as the installer for FCS2 has been written in Rosetta & Rosetta is not available for Lion.

FCS7 on the other hands runs smooth and stable on Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:10:50 pm

I'm in the same boat here. Need to upgrade my hardware as my Mac pro is just barely clinging to life. What are the options? Buy a new mbp (or whatever) w lion, downgrade to snow leopard (if that's possible), install fcs2 (from disks? Then update?), then... If want be... install lion? Or B) upgrade to fcs3 (expensive and otherwise unnecessary)? Any other options?

For myself, I need to continue cutting a project on 6.0.6, but like I said, my Mac pro (2004) could surrender it's will to function any day...

Chris

Return to posts index

Sam Denison
on Aug 15, 2011 at 4:37:26 pm

Ok, got my new mac mini in with 10.7 and installed final cut studio 2, the one with fcp6 without issue. Here is how.

1: It requires you have a snow leopard disc. I had a retail copy, not sure if it will work with an OEM copy. Last I checked BestBuy still had some copies. For $29 it is good insurance.

2: Insert the disc and go to the install option packages. Run the installer and choose Rosetta. When it finishes, it will give you a message that it was designed for an older version of OS X and you may want to update. Just click finish.

3: Install final cut studio 2.

4: Enjoy.

I have tested with motion and fcp so far without issue. Mileage may vary. Give me any feedback you may have.

Sam

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:24:59 pm

Didn't they just update the Migration Setup tool? Can I not just connect my old MacPro with whatever I buy running Lion and bring FCS 2 over that way? If not, thanks for the workaround.

Chris

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:34:43 pm

[Christopher McDonell] "Can I not just connect my old MacPro with whatever I buy running Lion and bring FCS 2 over that way?"

Yes, feel free to use Migration Assistant if you don't mind having issues that will cause you endless amounts of troubleshooting.

The only way to insure seamless and trouble free installation of the ProApps applications is to avoid laziness with a ground-up installation. Period, end of story...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Sam Denison
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:37:19 pm

That I don't know. What I am curious about is this worked for a program that required rosetta for the installer only. I wonder if this would work for a program that required rosetta to run. I don't have any that I use but it would be worth a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]