FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - An Appreciation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Hal
FCP 7 - An Appreciation
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:54:03 pm

For the past 15 years, I've been making trailers, tv spots, sizzle reels -- that is my business.

For the first 10, I used an AVID -- there was no other choice.

Then in 2007, I held my breath and jumped to FCP 6.

And never looked back.

Until this past week, when I had to go work at an AVID facility -- an AVID Symphony 5 running on a PC to be exact.

Fortunately, I'd remapped my FCP keyboard to the AVID equivalents to ease my initial transition to FCP -- therefore I could pretty much run the Symphony.

But I couldn't make it sing.

I missed all the tricks and talents of FCP -- and my work showed it.

In the end, they let me take the project to my studio -- and all was right in the world -- happy client, fun video, money.

So while I'm sure I'll end up embracing FCP X, I'm still grateful to have FCP 7.03.

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
Re: FCP 7 - An Appreciation
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:10:14 pm

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm brushing up my Avid skills after 8 years away, and I'm finding it really frustrating. A big part of this is me needing to get back up to speed. But I think a part of it is endemic to way Avid thinks. Point in case - you can only remap keyboard functions to the shift key. Straight up, I've gone from being able to map 11 functions to a key to being able to map 2.

I've no doubt that once I get my head back into the Avid space, I'll get faster, but I'm not sure I'll ever lose this feeling that I'm editing with one hand tied behind my back.

Bottom line: Steve, FCP7 was already "awesome".

Rob Tinworth

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:12:13 pm

I think the fact that FCP 7.0.3 is such a good tool in so many respects has made the initial disappointment of FCP X more keen.

We all knew that a re-write from the bottom up was needed as FCS3 was starting to show its age but the fact that Apple got so many things right, is the cause of much of the grief here at the Cow over what's missing from FCP X.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:59:53 pm

I love fcp7.
It still runs great.
But also happy that premiere works with
A aja or decklink
B fcp xml files
C fcp7 keyboard layout

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>