FORUMS: list search recent posts

Increasing Sunlight Changes Color

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Katz
Increasing Sunlight Changes Color
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:18:44 am

For about an 8-minute video, I shot the subject indoors with natural light coming in from a right window. But the sun started peeking out from behind a building and over the course of the video the color dramatically changed!

Is there anything I can do to equalize or balance the color throughout? I don't work in Color, although I've heard that's an option. Would anyone know of a Color technique or any other technique?

Here is the video: http://www.harrykatz.com/Ben_Dor.mov

Thanks.

Harry

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Increasing Sunlight Changes Color
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:02:02 am

You should most likely keyframe the 3-way Color Corrector. In theory, the color shift should be very linear so you should not have to place more than a few keyframes.

It's not exactly going to be a piece of cake for you Harry if you have no color correction experience, but none of us was born with color grading expertise.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:37:03 am

Where you shooting with AUTO White Balance?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Harry Katz
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:48:19 pm

Yes, was shooting with Auto White Balance...

Harry Katz
harry1@harrykatz.com

Return to posts index

Harry Katz
on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:25:45 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... I was afraid it might have something to do with keyframing as well... what an opportunity to practice keyframing and color correcting at the same time! Let's hope I remember this is an opportunity while I am pulling my hair out! I'll try to remember to let you know how I made out!

Harry

Harry Katz
harry1@harrykatz.com

Return to posts index

James Daugherty
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:03:17 am

Keyframe controls: A set of three keyframe controls allows you to keyframe all of the settings in a color correction filter at once. To keyframe individual settings of a color correction filter, you need to use the filter’s numeric controls.

There are two ways to keyframe color correction changes over time. Using a filter’s visual controls, you can place single keyframes that include the settings of every parameter of the color correction filter. If you set one keyframe, move the playhead ahead several seconds, and make further adjustments to the visual controls of the color correction filter, Final Cut Pro automatically interpolates the change from one keyframe’s settings to another to make the smoothest transition possible.

For more precise control, you can keyframe individual color correction parameters directly in the Filters tab of the Viewer. For more information about keyframing filters, see Animating Motion Effects Using Keyframes.

Here is the link to FCP7 user manual..
http://bit.ly/rhRApg

James Daugherty
President SDFCPUG.com

Return to posts index

Harry Katz
on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:22:51 pm

James, this is great... thanks very much not only for the detailed information but the link to the manual... now you've ruined my weekend plans! No, just kidding, this will be a labor of love and, quite frankly, the best opportunity possible to start to learn this aspect of editing. I am truly appreciative...

Harry

Harry Katz
harry1@harrykatz.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:41:26 pm

Manual White balance will prevent this ~ in the future.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]