FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching Copies of Final Cut Studio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joesph Armstrong
Switching Copies of Final Cut Studio
on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:38:44 am

A friend of mine and I want switch the copies of Final Cut Studio that we have. I have FCS HD and am beginning to more aggressively pursue video work and need the newer codecs & versions of the programs. He has FCS 2 and only uses it to edit stuff for his duties at a church and just needs to cut footage and add titles.

We want to trade our copies of studio (both full packages not upgrades) with each other (for keeps not borrowing) but I had a few questions about the process.

1. Could we both just utterly uninstall our copies of studio and then install each other's?

2. If we do that would we each be able renew the ability install our copy on two machines? This is the biggest issue to me because my copy has been installed on a desktop (a Powermac G5) and not a laptop (I am buying a new Pro) and his has been installed on a laptop (an Intel Pro) but not a desktop.

3. What part do serial numbers play in this process? Would we have to re-register them?

I have never done something like this and cannot find anywhere that explains the process and what one can do with their copy afterwards (if you have a link to a discussion that has dealt with this please post it).

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

~ JoeA

(Yes, I have looked at FCPX but am holding off on considering buying it until the updates come out)

Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz with 3 GB ram running Leopard

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Switching Copies of Final Cut Studio
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:22:26 am

Legally, the serial number stays with the original owner. You would need to purchase an upgrade.

You do have the option to do what you want with no guarantees.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Joesph Armstrong
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:38:38 am

Thank you for your quick response and advice Mr. Eisen.

But how have people been able to sell their copies in the past? I want to know how people normally do this.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:39:42 am

One caveat though, the person getting the OLDER version, would NOT be able to open legacy proj. from the newer version.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 9, 2011 at 12:46:59 am

You need to talk to them directly. Not on this public forum.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]